Position Title: Regional DTM Officer
Duty Station: Dakar, Senegal
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 10 February 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Cuba; Curaçao; Fiji; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
The demand for IOM data and information products on displacement and migration is increasing and highlights the growing interest in harbouring a strong evidence base to support programming, response and policymaking.
The Regional Data and Research Unit (RDRU) at IOM’s Regional Office for West and Central Africa (ROWCA) was launched in 2019 to support the development and implementation of data collection initiatives in the Region, produce regional analysis information products, work towards harmonizing regional data and research initiatives within IOM and examine the complexity and diversity of mobility in the Region. One of the RDRU’s core functions lies in its direct support to the design, roll out and coordination of the many Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) activities in the region. It covers 23 countries and supports the implementation of hundreds of projects.
The volume of data collected through these projects is significant and ranges from data on internal displacement and migration flows (Mobility Tracking, Registration, Stability Index, Flow Monitoring, Migrant Presence) to data on voluntary returns completed by IOM Country Offices (Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration data), transhumance flows (Transhumance Tracking Tool), missing migrants (Missing Migrants Project), and project data or ad-hoc data collection conducted for specific projects.
Under the direct supervision of the head of the Regional Data and Research Unit (RDRU), the overall supervision of the Senior Regional Policy and Liaison Officer, and the guidance of the DTM Global team, the successful candidate will provide technical inputs and guidance to support the work of the Information Management Unit within the Regional Office for West and Central Africa (ROWCA), with a particular focus on Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) activities. In doing so, the successful candidate will be responsible for assisting with reporting tasks in the RDRU, generating regional analysis and products, contributing to the development and roll out of DTM activities, coordinating and monitoring the timely implementation of DTM activities and the production of DTM information products, providing project support on data and research related programmes and activities, and supporting information management capacity building initiatives of internal and external stakeholders.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Reporting and analysis
a. In close coordination with DTM’s Analytics, Knowledge and Output Quality (AKO) unit at HQ, systematically review DTM products drafted by missions in West and Central Africa, with a particular focus on coherence and accuracy of content, layout and design, adherence to DTM and IOM reporting standards, quality of analysis, both quantitative and qualitative, messaging, and political sensitivities;
b. Contribute to the development and production of regional information products, conducting in-depth analysis of region-wide and sub-regional displacement and migration data and performing narrative analysis, interpretation and extrapolation;
c. Support the development and drafting of reports and other information products produced by DTM missions;
d. Contribute to the harmonization of DTM information products throughout the region and check that DTM and IOM reporting guidelines are adhered to;
e. Facilitate the timely dissemination of products through Data & Research’s weekly newsletter.
2. Support to implementation of DTM activities
a. Support the design, setup and roll out of DTM activities, in particular by contributing to the development of methodological notes, DTM tools and forms, analysis and reporting plans, information products and dissemination;
b. Provide technical inputs and guidance to support DTM missions in the adaptation and harmonization of existing tools and methodologies, and the adoption of standardized activities to fit missions’ contextual needs and requirements;
c. Provide technical inputs to support the development and review of project proposals and donor reports which include DTM and other data related activities;
d. Undertake travel duty to support the development and roll out of DTM activities, monitor the implementation of DTM activities, meet with project counterparts, facilitate enumerator training and provide reporting and analysis support, as required.
3. Capacity building, training and external relations
a. Organize and facilitate trainings on DTM tools and methodologies, analysis, reporting, information management, data collection, and research methodologies and processes to internal and external actors;
b. Provide information on DTM methodologies, tools and findings, as well as regional migration and displacement context, trends, changes and perspectives to internal and external stakeholders;
c. Participate in regional inter-agency information management initiatives such as the RegionalInformation Management Working Group (IMWG) meeting and contribute to the IMWG’s initiatives and work;
d. Support discussions with research partners and academics on the use of DTM data.
4. Perform such other duties as may be assigned
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Social Sciences, Political Science, International Relations, Law, Statistics, Data Science, Geography, Demography or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in Information Management or Data Management;
• Experience in the drafting and review of information products and donor/project reports;
• Experience in and knowledge of graphic design is an advantage;
• Experience in emergency response in the field, crisis, post conflict and other displacement situations is a distinct advantage.
• In-depth knowledge of and experience with DTM tools, data process cycle and project cycle;
• Good understanding of the migration and displacement context in West and Central Africa;
• Knowledge of MS Office and basic software packages; knowledge of ODK, KoboCollect, ArcGIS, InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, SAS and other similar tools is an advantage.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written).
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country and who do not have prior experience outside the duty station’s country as staff member in the Professional category cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 10 February 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 28.01.2022 to 10.02.2022
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2022 27 Regional DTM Officer (P2) Dakar, Senegal (57376627) Released
Posting: Posting NC57376628 (57376628) Released