Action Against Hunger is gradually changing its approach to move from a vertical approach, which is focused on nutrition interventions (in particular severe acute malnutrition), to integrated Health-Nutrition ones, with a horizontal approach on health systems strengthening. Health plays a major role in malnutrition; health of women and adolescents is directly tied to the health and nutritional condition of their future children. Thus, in order to break the intergenerational circle of malnutrition, it is essential to integrate nutrition and health interventions, and to ensure the accessibility of treatment at all levels of the health system. The medical care of severe acute malnutrition (SAM) follows the same logic and must be integrated and generalized in the medical care services. The revised version of ACF strategy in nutrition and health focuses its efforts both on nutrition but also on the provision of minimal health services at the health facility and community levels (diagonal approach).
ACF has developed a systemic approach focusing on the district level, to carry out a diagnosis and provide strategic planning support to the health stakeholders, based on the 6 pillars of the health system as defined by the WHO (Governance, funding, human resources, service delivery, supply and health information system). The purpose of the diagnosis is to provide an overview of the health system and understand its strengths and weaknesses, in order to determine the necessary strategic actions to be taken to strengthen the health system (planning). As of today, this approach has been implemented in 20 countries, and the third version of the methodological guide is available since 2017.
For more information, you can refer to “The health system strengthening guidebook, from diagnosis to planning” which is used as a reference methodology at the field level.
Reporting to the Head of Nutrition and Health Department in the field, and to the Health System Strengthening Advisor at headquarters, you will be responsible for carrying out a thorough analysis of the health system and develop a planning strategy, together with health and nutrition stakeholders, by using the AAH methodology (“STRENGTHENING HEALTH SYSTEMS from diagnosis to planning – A step by step approach”).
More specifically, you will be in charge of:
- Prepare the diagnosis
- Supervise the primary and secondary data collection and analysis
- Organize resilience and diagnostic workshops in collaboration with the competent authorities and relevant stakeholders
- Write the diagnostic report
- Prepare the planning phase
- Write the final report
- Support the implementation of the HSS roadmap activities
Expériences / Formation
You hold a Master’s degree in public health (or equivalent field) and you have a minimum of 3 years field experience in the management of nutrition & health projects. As an expert in health strengthening systems, you have acquired a solid experience in the evaluation of health systems and you are known for your analytical, synthesis, and your writing skills. Knowledge of acute malnutrition healthcare would be highly appreciated.
You also have excellent organizational skills and a sense of diplomacy, allowing you to successfully coordinate, mentor and train your teams. A moderation capacity is essential.
Excellent command of English, both written and oral, is required.
Action Against Hunger is looking for HEALTH SYSTEMS STRENGTHENING EXPERTS to join ou ROSTER. The location of the missions is not yet definied, however we are expecting short terms ones in Africa, Middle-East, and/or Asia.
Contract : 3 to 4 months (length dependent on the need) fixed term contract under French legislation
Remuneration and benefits :
- Monthly gross salary from 2010 to 2335€ upon experience C2
- Per diem and living allowance : dependent on the country, field paid
- Expertise allowance of 200€
- C ountry allowance between 0 and 450 €, dependent on the context
- 16% of monthly gross . For non-French citizen for retrocession of retirement and unemployment insurance.
- 15% of monthly gross salary as roving allowance.
- NChild allowance
Medical coverage : 100% coverage of medical expenses + repatriation insurance.
Leaves and RnR :
- 25 days of paid leaves per year.
- 20 RnR per year.
- 215 € at each RnR period (averagely every 3 months)
- Support for transport tickets to the reference recovery area .
- Free and unlimited access to the certifying e-learning platform Crossknowledge ©.
- Technical trainings at HQ or regional level (averagely 1 per year).
- Intermission Workshop once a year.
- Participation to external trainings costs upon eligibility of the request.
For your application, please follow this link: https://recrutement.actioncontrelafaim.org/fr/offre/4716