Concern recruits 01 Programme Manager – Health & Nutrition (CAR)
About the role: This is a 12-month (renewable), replacement role with unaccompanied terms Bossembele, Ombella M’Poko prefecture, CAR, with a salary of Grade 3 €37,988 – €42,206 per annum plus benefits.
You will report to the Area Coordinator and you will line manage a team of up to 20 staff with 2 direct reports (assistant PM Health & Nutrition and assistant PM WASH). You shall work closely with all Programme Managers, the Programme Director, the Grants Development and Compliance Manager, the Country Finance Manager and the Systems Director.
We would like you to start in: March 2021
Your purpose: The H&N Programme Manager, who will be based in Bossembele, will lead the implementation, management and development of the H&N components of Concern’s programmes in Ombella M’Poko and Lobaye regions. The health and nutrition activities include Integrated Management of Childhood Illness (IMCI) and incorporate the detection and management of acute malnutrition via the CMAM approach as well as improved Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF). The programme covers 13 health centres with expansion planned in Q2 and Q3 of 2020. The activities include the implementation of the integrated WASH component in health and nutrition activities. S/he will enhance programming and managerial skills of key Concern staff on the programme team and ensure close integration with the other programme teams. S/he will build on and strengthen Concern’s working relationship with relevant line Ministries in line with current MoUs between Concern and the ministries. The H&N Programme Manager will lead on programme assessments and on the implementation of emergency response programmes when necessary.
Particularly, the Health and Nutrition Manager will lead the implementation, management and development of H&N component within the current programme funded by Irish Aid and UK Aid. S/he will support in the development of proposal for any potential funding opportunities for the regions and for CAR in general.
You will be responsible for:
- Manage the implementation of the health and nutrition programme in Ombella M’Poko and Lobaye regions ensuring timely and quality implementation through Concern Project Cycle Management
- Oversee and support staff Health and Nutrition team in the day-to-day management of the implementation of the programme and ensure adequate planning of the
- Lead the implementation of the Programme strategy and ensure the project team is trained in the relevant program areas, specifically: integrated management of childhood illness (IMCI), CMAM, Behavioural change and associated community activities; empowerment of the care group members and community health workers; mother-to-mother support groups; “engaging men in nutrition”
- Ensure the implementation of national health strategy in collaboration with the Health District and Prefecture authorities.
- Ensure effective collaboration between community and Health Centers in the implementation of CMAM.
- Promote multisector approach of the program ensuring the adequate implementation of gender sensitive nutrition, WASH/Nutrition components of the programme and cross cutting
- Ensure adequate monitoring and evaluation of the programme in close collaboration with the M&E officer including overseeing survey such as « SMART ».
- Ensure the programme is implemented according to Concern’s results-based approach and provide relevant inputs to draw lesson learned including adaptation of implementation strategy when relevant.
- Supporting in ensuring the set-up of Complaint Response Mechanism for the programme implemented in the area of intervention.
- Organize regular team coordination meetings.
Monitoring & Evaluation
- Manage programme in line with the logical framework, and the programme M&E plan; and ensure teams are accountable and understand processes
- Ensure team is aware and understand M&E requirements and methodologies and understand their roles and responsibilities.
- Ensure that the information regarding the programme activities and beneficiaries is regularly captured, stored and analysed according to the established M&E Plan.
- Lead with regular and annual data collection and analysis initiatives.
- Ensure that beneficiaries have access to feedback mechanisms and that data is monitored and responses given within appropriate time periods.
Reporting and Donor Compliance
- Prepare timely and high quality internal and donor reports for the programme, in line with donor requirements (narrative and financial);
- Contribute to the development of high-quality concept notes and proposals for the health and nutrition
- Lead in documenting (i.e. in the form of technical briefs, etc.) lessons learnt, best practices on H&N programme in Ombella M’Poko and Lobaye regions.
- Work in close relation with the Ministry of Health and the project stakeholders in Ombella M’Poko and Lobaye regions; as well as at national level.
- Represent Concern in all relevant clusters and coordination mechanism with other NGOs, UN Agencies and state
- Recruit, manage and support programme staff ensuring that there is a clearly defined structure, up-to-date job description, and reporting mechanisms for each team member.
- Ensure team members are aware of core Concern policies and procedures relevant to their work, and with the support of others, carry out regular briefings on these policies, including the Code of conduct, security management, accountability etc. Contribute to the implementation of these policies.
- Together with other project teams members, ensure inequality and risk and vulnerability are analysed, mitigated against and responded to during the overall planning, implementation and management of the H&N programme.
- Assist with the provision of or coordinate the training necessary for the delivery of good quality activities.
- Agree SMART performance objectives for all direct reports, and ensure all team members have appropriately set objectives, and that performance reviews are undertaken in a timely manner.
- Monitor and review performance and hold staff accountable for meeting the success criteria; give corrective feedback where required and take decisive action in the case of poor performance
- Take active measures to address equality issues, particularly relating to gender, in programme as well as operational (e.g. HR) activities.
- Manage the programme budget, including regular monitoring of expenditure against budget, in accordance with Concern financial procedures and guidelines.
- Together with the Area Coordinator, review financial reports and feedback to finance department on discrepancies.
- Develop internal budget revisions with the support of the Area Coordinator and the finance team and according to schedule, while building the capacities of the Assistant PMs to improve their budget management skills.
- Develop a clear work and expenditure plan and ensure that the programme is implemented within the agreed/approved budget and timeframe.
- Take overall budget responsibility for H&N Programmes in Ombella M’Poko and Lobaye.
- Ensure all program staff strictly comply with the Security Management Plan (SMP) and SOPs ;
- Ensure that staff communicate security incidents and concerns in a timely manner ;
- Provide timely security information/updates/alerts to the Area Coordinator or Country Security Focal Point (Systems Director).
- Support the implementation and the update of Concern’s CAR strategy.
- Contribute to organisational accountability initiatives, including overseeing the roll out of commitments of Concern under the CHS (Core Humanitarian Standards) ;
- Adhere fully to the commitments and rules of Concern’s Code of Conduct (CoC) and its affiliated safeguarding policies, including the respect of confidentiality and duty to report.
- Report to the appropriate manager any violations of Concern’s CoC and Safeguarding Policies, as well as Anti-Fraud and Whistleblowing Policies; this is a mandatory duty of all staff.
- Undertake any other relevant duties as may be assigned by the Area Coordinator or the Programme Director.
Your skills and experience will include:
- Master 2 in Public Health and Nutrition (MPH, MSc) or equivalent.
- Fluent in French and professional competencies in English, a plus.
- Minimum of three years overseas experience implementing full Nutrition and health Programmes
- Experience in strategic development and support of nutrition and health programmes, including mainstreaming of crosscutting themes such as HIV and AIDS, gender,
- Experience working in nutrition interventions, including CMAM and IYCF.
- Experience working with Primary Health Care (PHC).
- Experience in humanitarian, insecure context.
- Experience in working with and capacity building of national staff and partner
- Experience in community mobilization / behavioural change strategies
- Familiarity with general health systems strengthening principles and programming
- Knowledge and experience in the most common assessment and survey methodologies such as SMART, SQEAC and related
- Previous experience in CAR and/or in the
- Experience in implementation of programme in partnership with local and national administration.
We would also like:
- Cross cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Empathy with Concern’s goals & commitment to capacity building, protection and participation
- Good communication and training / capacity building skills
- Proven organisation, planning and management skills
- Ability to work on own initiative and lead diverse teams
- Flexible and adaptable to a changing environment
- Ability to work under pressure often to strict deadlines
- Knowledge of computer applications i.e. Microsoft word, Excel, communications
- Ability to live and work in a close team
How to apply
Les CVs en français sont les bienvenus.
CVs should be submitted through our website at https://jobs.concern.net
Due to the urgency of this position we may offer this post before the closing date.
Concern is an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all section of the community.