Position Title : Finance Officer
Duty Station : Dakar,Senegal
Classification : Professional Staff,Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 21 May 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states: Antigua and Barbuda; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
The European Union (EU)-IOM Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration in Africa (EU-IOM Joint Initiative) supports the efforts of African partner countries along the Central Mediterranean migration routes to strengthen migration governance and respond to urgent protection needs of migrants. The Initiative implements projects in 14 countries alongside a regional component: Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chad, Cote d’lvoire, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea, Ghana, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, The Gambia, and Libya. The main areas of activity include: (i) increasing protection and assistance for vulnerable and stranded migrants; (ii) facilitating voluntary return; (iii) achieving sustainable reintegration; (iv)enhancing government and stakeholder policies and responses; (v) giving access to accurate information; and (vi) improving data on migration flows, routes and trends as well as migrants’ needs and under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and direct supervision of the Resources Management Officer (RMO), the successful candidate will be responsible for supporting the project administratively.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Monitoring and overseeing the financial management of all activities of the European Union (EU)-IOM Joint Initiative in Senegal, including financial expenditures.
- Contribute to maintaining and improving appropriate internal controls to safeguard the Organization’s assets, control cash, and prevent fraud. Propose changes to processing actions to the RMO.
- Support in the monitoring and tracking of funding resources, transactions and project expenditures and undertake financial analysis of resources managed by the mission and provide information as required.
- Assist in forecasting cash flows according to activities and ensure daily control of funds disbursed; verify that funding is received in accordance with donor agreement.
- Make suggestions for procedural improvements and assist in training local staff in the relevant areas of administration and finance. Undertake regular travel to field offices to build resources management capacity of finance staff and to ensure that IOM rules and regulations are followed.
- Maintain strong contacts with other internal functional units of the Country Office; support the RMO in liaising with banks, donors and government counterparts and other stakeholders as required in the performance of the accounting function.
- Support the RMO in the preparation of the annual budget and Project Managers with projects’ budgets. Monitor the budget control process and analyze variances between budgets and actual expenditures on monthly basis and assist in the preparation of budgets for new projects.
- Monitor service fees mission projects and ensure proper financial reporting in coordination with the programme units.
- Create and facilitate teamwork and assist the RMO in training staff in the field of budget and finance, in accordance to IOM procedures and regulations.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Public Administration, Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or,
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Professional certification as chartered accountant (CA) or certified public accountant (CPA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), or Association of Chartered Certified, Accountants (ACCA) will be a distinct advantage.
• Experience in accounting, budgeting, financial management and reporting;
• Experience in preparing clear and concise financial and management reports;
• Experience working in and with international institutions;
• Knowledge of MS Office products and good computer literacy skills are required;
• Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and SAP an advantage;
• Knowledge of IOM/UN accounting system, software and procedures, Common System regulations, policies and procedures are a distinct advantage; and,
• Familiarity with financial oversight and public administration is an advantage.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in French and English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Spanish and/or local languages is an advantage.
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity : respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency : maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork : develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results : produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge : continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability : takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication : encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership : provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust : creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision : works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link . Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 21 May 2020 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to:
From 08.05.2020 to 21.05.2020
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.