INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Emergency Project Manager
Duty station: Kabul, with frequent mission to the project locations
Starting date: 15/10/2021
Contract duration: 6 months renewable
Supervision of: National staff teams
Dependents: Non-family Duty station
General context of the project
INTERSOS is a non-profit humanitarian aid organization that works to bring assistance to people in danger, victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts.
40 years of conflicts and political turmoil have taken a massive cumulative toll on the people of Afghanistan. A total of 18.4 million people, almost half of the total population, have been estimated by the UN to need humanitarian assistance prior to recent events. Severe droughts are recurring in Afghanistan, currently resulting in nearly 14 million people in acute food insecurity, with over 3 million children facing severe malnourishment. The recent displacement of 550,000 people is adding to an estimated 2.9 million people who remain internally displaced and in need of humanitarian assistance, while winter months are around the corner.
General purpose of the position
The Emergency Project Manager is responsible for the implementation of INTERSOS emergency response in Kabul area.
The activities will be conducted in close collaboration and with the support of INTERSOS Emergency Unit and Medical Unit Team at HQ level, also with the aim of expanding the capacity to identify and respond to new urgent needs in Kabul area.
The Emergency Project manager will be in charge of the supervision of national team including supervision of workplans and budget expenditures.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Conduct in depth need assessments both in areas targeted by the first response and new areas of intervention.
- In line with the findings of need assessments and Afghanistan mission strategic priorities, design project proposals to be submitted to international donors and private foundations
- Guarantee (directly on in remote) constant presence and active participation to the coordination hubs (clusters meetings, other coordination meetings) with local and international stakeholders, enhancing visibility of INTERSOS’s intervention at Kabul level.
- Responsible for all project implementation, in coordination with the emergency unit and medical unit team.
- Guarantee the application of INTERSOS procedures and donor’s rules for reporting and implementation. Be in charge of the preparation of mid term and final project reports
- Provide inputs and analysis to support the design of a possible mid-term strategy for INTERSOS mission at Kabul provincial level;
- Providing regular reporting to HoM/Emergency Unit, including photographs and videos as agreed with Communication Department.
- Responsible for the recruitment of local personnel with the support of the dedicated Human Resource Office in the mission or in HQ. To determine the contracts with local personnel, making sure the contracts are in line with the local labour registration.
- To ensure respect for the values, Code of Ethics and Organization Management and Control Model of INTERSOS;
- Work with ad hoc finance and administration colleagues to programme budgets including setting monthly forecasts and ensuring that line items are appropriately spent
13 To be responsible for the strict observance and adherence to INTERSOS and donors’ procedures.
Other objectives and duties:
- Upon request of the Programme Coordinator and based on needs of the mission for the effective implementation and quality of the strategy and programmes
Required profile and experience
- Advanced university degree in humanitarian related field (international relation, social studies, IHL, IHRL)
Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience as project manager on humanitarian project/programme, including financial management responsibilities in complex humanitarian context
Experience in emergency primary health related intervention is an added value
- Strong and proven understanding of the humanitarian operating context, the humanitarian system and its flexibility, donors and their high demanding, security and financial management in humanitarian context
- Knowledge of institutional donor’s procedures
- Very strong skills in computer (excel) and admin/finance procedures
- Able to work independently
- Risk management knowledge is an asset
- Organization skills, delegative and empowerment approach of the supervised team
- Ability to define country and program strategies
- Ability to administer funds, logistics and human resources
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS
- Previous proven experience in proposal writing from secondary data will be considered an advantage
English is mandatory
- Proactiveness and strong problem-solving approach
- Flexibility to adapt to a dynamic context and to the volume of work
- Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to work and adapt in different environments
- High reactivity to unexpected demands
- Capacity to work under stress and meets the deadlines
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below: https://www.intersos.org/posizioni-aperte/missioni/#intersosorg-vacancies/vacancy-details/614de79d53350b001e23efd7/
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps : register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format . Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to [email protected] , with subject line: “ Platform issue – SR-28-2088 – Position ”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least three references , including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.