Wave recruits 01 Head of Risk
We’re making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That’s for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We’re solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don’t always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d’Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that’s where you come in….
How you’ll help us achieve it
We’re looking for a Head Of Risk for Senegal who’s resourceful, organized, and proactive about getting things done. You’ll be responsible for helping protect the interests of Wave mobile money customers, agents, and the business from significant risks, while also ensuring that our services remain accessible and easy to use by the target users. The position will report to the Head Of Operations with and matrixed to the Risk Operations Lead.
In this role, you’ll
- Review and draft related policy and operating procedures
- Prepare risk-related training materials and participate in training delivery in liaison with the training department.
- Define customer communication and suspicious activity awareness process and implementation.
- Identify and assess risks;
- Determine the vulnerabilities of our customers (transnational risk), agents (channel risk), and staff (internal risk).
- Build and maintain a portfolio of potential types of risk and ways to mitigate them in collaboration with the Product Managers.
- Establish effective controls – work with operations and engineering teams to design and build effective operational and digital controls;
- Preventive Controls
- Detective Controls
- Work with the internal teams to provide indispensable tools for risk detection, investigation, and prevention.
- Reliable and relevant data and dashboards, including partner and statutory reporting.
- Clear reporting and communication channels between stakeholders, including customers.
- Define internal mechanisms to report, investigate and escalate issues and take action upon detection of suspicious activity.
- Lead in the investigation of fraud cases, build internal investigative ability, and liaise with the legal department and the local authorities to close cases.
- Monitor and review the country risk management strategy
- Other duties may be assigned as the business may require.
- Location: You’ll work from our office in Dakar, with occasional travel to field locations in Senegal.
- This is a permanent position.
- ECOWAS work authorization is strongly preferred
- Our salaries are competitive and calculated using a transparent formula. We run performance reviews once a year and award bonuses to strong performers who have been with the company for more than 6 months.
- We pay 100% of your health care insurance premium cost for yourself and your dependents.
- We support working parents – we offer generous parental leave policies (26 weeks for mothers and 4 weeks for fathers) and subsidized childcare when you return to work.
- We help you live your fullest life now! We subsidize gym memberships, fitness classes, and workout equipment.
- Airtime reimbursement.
- Free food and beautiful office space.
- 5+ years relevant experience in mobile money, banking, or other financial sectors
- Bachelor’s degree or above in IT, business administration, finance, criminology, or other relevant disciplines
- +2 years with financial sector case investigative, fraud risk controls, regulatory requirements, and the market practices
- Proficiency in spoken and written French and English. Fluency in Wolof would be an advantage.
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills with an ability to leverage critical thinking in decision making
You might be a good fit if you
- Have strong computer applications skills.
- Communicate effectively and often, both in writing and in-person, to the point of over-communication.
- Are detail-oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do.
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth.
- Are willing to go the distance to get something done.
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions.
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D’Ivoire, Mali, Benin and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We’re deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You’ll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Founders Fund, Sequoia Heritage, Stripe, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator and Partech Africa.
How to apply
- Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a , both written in English, describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Closing date : 25 February 2022. Postuler