Title: Research & Development Director
Location: Thies, Senegal
Reports to: Director of Agriculture
Language Requirements: French and English fluency
myAgro is an award-winning non-profit social enterprise based in West Africa. myAgro has pioneered a mobile savings model that allows farmers to invest their own funds in high-quality seed, fertilizer, and training and increase their harvest and income by 50-100%. myAgro’s North Star is to help 1 million farmers increase their incomes by $1.50 per day by 2025 and lift themselves out of poverty.
About the Role
The R&D Director will be leading a team running different R&D initiatives that will improve the outcome of the products and services we deliver to farmers and increase the impact for our farmers. You will use your experience leading research teams to speed up innovations through the R&D pipeline and improve our processes of testing and piloting new products with our farmers.
- You are a leader that has the tools and skills to get the best out of your team with appropriate coaching. You help them to overcome obstacles and clarify the many uncertainties they face in the execution of the R&D initiatives they run.
- In order to speed up R&D initiatives, facilitation, adoption, and scale up, you communicate regular status updates within the organization and celebrate successes with our external partners.
- As an R&D professional you never lose sight of the problem(s) you are solving and have a data driven decision approach. You don’t get caught up in the details of the work, but ask the right questions in order to not miss important aspects of the solutions you’re developing.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Lead a R&D team
- Delegate R&D initiates to you team, clarifying how they link to the bigger goal of the organization
- Coach your team to design appropriate solutions
- Set up frameworks and work plans to keep team on track during execution
- Set up KPI and data management systems to inform decision making.
Advice on R&D Strategy
- Improve and standardize the processes used in the R&D pipeline
- Identify the most important levers of increasing impact for farmers and propose concrete plans to test and pilot initiatives for those
- Keep a pulse on what organization in our ecosystem are working on and see potentials opportunities for partnering or funding
- Provide regular status updates on goals, progress, bottlenecks to different levels within the organization
- Coach your team in order increase communication throughout the exécution of the R&D projects to get the appropriate buy-in and facilitate change
- Celebrate successes, identify champions and us this consistently in your communications and those of your team
Is this the Role for You?
You are RIGHT for this role if…
- You have 10 years of experience,
- You have 5 years of experience leading teams of 4-5 direct reports from which 3 years leading R&D teams
- You have designed, developed, and/or implemented R&D projects, preferably programs in rural areas of Africa.
- You are fluent in English and in French
myAgro provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, sexual orientation, marital/parental status, national origin, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, and genetics. myAgro complies with all applicable federal, provincial and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.