SNV recruits 01 Project Manager, Resilience and Food Security Contingent on donor funding
Project Manager, Resilience and Food Security Contingent on donor funding
- Niamey, Niger
- Contract type: International employment contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical knowledge to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has over 1250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV more explicitly aims for structural change and scale in its programmes, as well as bringing knowledge and initiatives from different programmes together at country level to contribute to systems’ change. We will continue to position ourselves as a learning organisation striving for excellence and invest in making knowledge flow to and from the frontline. Since 1978, SNV has been providing capacity development services to local institutions and organisations in Niger, working in line with national poverty reduction strategies. For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
Overview of the Position
SNV is positioning for an upcoming project which will focus on household resilience, food security and agro-pastoralists in Niger. The project will be implemented in the regions of Dosso and Maradi. The program overall objective is to ensure that agro-pastoralist family farms are more resilient and better equipped to cope with food insecurity. The project will be specifically targeting agro-pastoral family farms in the regions of Dosso and Maradi and will also promote policy dialogue and capacity-building of the relevant actors. The Team Leader is expected to be based in Niamey with regular travel to the project locations.
SNV in Niger seeks a talented, entrepreneurial, result-oriented and proven project management professional, who will lead a new project and collaborate with the country team in Niger to further build on SNV’s high quality resilience in Agriculture and particularly in agro-pastoralism. The project manager is responsible for the overall vision, leadership and guidance of the project, internally with the project staff and externally with donor, the host government and other stakeholders. She/he will be responsible for overall project planning, implementation and management, which includes among others: effectively steering project staff and team; efficient management of financial resources; review and approval of project budgets and monitoring expenditures; supervision of field operations; supervision of procurement and monitoring & evaluation; and ensuring quality control and timeliness of all deliverable as required.
S/he will ensure full compliance with the donor contract and regulations and will oversee the project reporting process to the donor. S/he will oversee performance management of all project staff working in his/her project. The Project Manager reports to the Agriculture Sector Lead and collaborates closely with the Agriculture global sector team. For more information on our works in Niger, please visit our website: Niger | SNV World
· Project Set-up: Guides the project set-up, including developing work plans, budgets and competence table with financial responsibilities and mandates.
· Project Management: Leads, manages and motivates the project team to deliver effective development results. Ensures planning and monitoring, financial management, and donor reporting.
· Project quality assurance: Takes responsibility for the (technical) content of a project, ensures quality of the deliverables and ensures sufficient technical input to meet the quality standards.
· Contract Management & Project Accounting: Manages and accounts for full compliance of administrative, finance and HR components of the project with SNV internal procedures and donor requirements.
· People Management & Team Leadership: Guides, develops, coaches and motivates team members.
· Manage Relationships: Builds, strengthens and manages partnerships with local and national governments, private sector partners, institutions and stakeholders; Manage donor relations and the donor contract.
· Business development: Builds and maintains effective relationships, with team, external partners and the donor(s). Signals and acts on potential for positioning, innovation, upscaling and potential follow up on projects.
· Analysis & Reporting: Ensures collection, consolidation and review of project information, according to SNV’s monitoring and evaluation guidelines.
· Knowledge Development: Contributes to internal and external knowledge development, by full documentation and sharing of project insights and results in coordination with the Niger and global team.
- Relevant advanced academic qualification in Agriculture, food security and rural development (or related field).
- 10+ years of relevant experience in the agriculture and/or in international cooperation (including at least 4 years in a management role), preferably in Niger or the Sahel and West Africa region.
- Proven experience with climate smart agriculture, natural resources management and land tenure, livestock, livelihood enhancement, and systems change.
- Proven experience working in a consortium, with good communication skills, experience working with public administration and local implementing partners.
- Knowledge and experience with community-driven development approaches, approaches and tools for targeting vulnerable populations (considering conflict-sensitivities), strengthening the capacity of local actors, and advocacy/lobby efforts to create an enabling environment (political dialogue)
- Knowledge of good governance practices, and approaches dealing with gender-sensitive, social inclusion and empowerment principles, especially for youth.
- Proven experience with project planning, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and financial management.
- Knowledge of the Humanitarian-Development nexus.
- Experience in adaptative management.
- Entrepreneurial skills and attitude, as well as commitment to work with local partners and in remote and fragile areas.
- Networking and strong relationship management skills.
- Ability to travel in fragile and insecure contexts.
- A self-motivated achiever with excellent intercultural leadership, teamwork, coaching, communication, networking and organizational skills.
- Fluent in French and working knowledge of English.
Terms of appointment
This is a full-time international position based in Niamey, Niger. The successful candidate will be contracted for a 2-year contract, with the possibility of renewal. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience and it includes a competitive secondary benefit package.
Desired Start Date: January 2022.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged!
How to Apply
Please submit your application via SmartRecruiters on or before 23 September 2021 if you wish to be considered for this position. All information will be held in the strictest confidence. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Please note that candidates who make it to the job offering stage, we will require 3 references. We will not contact these references without your explicit consent.
All information will be held in the strictest confidence.
Working at SNV
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. For more information, please visit our website: www.snvworld.org
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement