Welthungerhilfe recruits 01 Head of Project – Climate sensitive Food Systems*
The position is to be filled as soon as possible, with an initial contract duration of one year. There are good prospects for an extension. Employment location will be Nyamlel, Northern Bahr el Ghazal, South Sudan.
South Sudan has been facing a severe humanitarian crisis for the past decades. The cumulative effects of years of conflict, violence and destroyed livelihoods have left more than 7 million people in dire need of some form of humanitarian assistance and protection. Welthungerhilfe (WHH) has been implementing activities in nine locations in the states of Northern Bahr el Ghazal, Greater Equatoria and Unity, with its programmes in humanitarian assistance, rural development, livelihoods, nutrition and food security, and WASH sectors. Currently WHH South Sudan implements 13 projects, with an annual budget of approx. 50M EUR. The Climate sensitive Food Systems project in South Sudan features a complex set of activities, partly implemented through partners, to build resilience among rural populations, with a focus on climate adaptation in Northern Bahr el Ghazal. It offers an exciting opportunity to improve the lives of the people we aim to assist and in particular to provide sustainable, climate-sensitive growth opportunities for young people booth inside and outside the agricultural sector. Activities focus on market development, increasing organizational degree of local farmers, youth employment, access to microfinance and natural resource management.
As Head of Project, you will line manage the project staff as member of a large structure (>250 staff, incl. 25 international staff) and report to the Area Manager (programmatic line management) and the Country Director (administrative line management). You will independently manage a complex value chain development project and ensure high-quality implementation and compliance with standards and regulations as well as internal and external communication of the project results. Additionally, you will represent Welthungerhilfe and the project towards stakeholders, authorities and the local community in Northern Bahr el Ghazal.
Welthungerhilfe takes its duty of care very seriously. To support staff during their assignment in South Sudan and to keep them safe despite the difficult conditions, strict security measures are taken and regular Rest and Recreation leave is mandatory. A culture of openness and support is fostered throughout the programme to create a climate of team spirit and to overcome professional and personal challenges in a difficult environment.
- Carry out the project planning, implementation, monitoring and the project’s financial control and adapt the activities if necessary, including project risk analysis
- Provide active and inclusive leadership to the project team, including identification/analysis of capacity building needs of WHH and partner staff
- Ensure that all project relevant support (monitoring, logistics, finance administration, etc.) contributes to optimal project outcomes
- Actively participate in the development of proposals for projects with a similar sectoral focus
- Report to the Head of Programmes on the progress of the project
- Ensure beneficiary satisfaction and functioning complaint response mechanisms
- Contribute to the development of country policies and strategies
- Monitor logistical procedures, including warehouse management, inventory control and distribution reports
- Represent Welthungerhilfe in relevant clusters at state and national levels, within the humanitarian community and to the local government
- A university or polytechnic degree in Agriculture, Economic Development, Rural Development or equivalent qualifications that are commensurate with this position
- At least 3 years of project and team management experience globally, in projects with international aid agencies and a focus on woman/youth economic empowerment, value chain development and sustainable livelihoods
- BMZ donor experience; any other various international donor experience would be an asset
- Sound experience in working with digital solutions to increase operational efficiency and collect project data
- Proven experience in proposal development
- Expertise in governance is a desired asset
- Profound budget management and reporting skills
- Team-oriented approach, with coaching and mentoring skills and experience in capacity building
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple project elements simultaneously
- Effective coordination and organizational skills – even under a high workload
- A high level of mental and physical resilience and readiness to travel to areas with volatile conditions
- Excellent spoken and written English, German language skills would be an asset
We offer you the opportunity to work in a responsible and interesting field as part of an extremely dedicated team. Welthungerhilfe attaches great importance to the personal and professional development of its employees and the balance of their work and private life. Remuneration is based on our gender-independent salary scale. In addition, Welthungerhilfe offers numerous other benefits, which are listed under “Our benefits” .
Please send your application via our online recruiting system by October 24, 2021 by following this link. Your contact person is Carolin Moellenbeck. Welthungerhilfe is committed to fighting terrorism in all its activities. Accordingly, any applicant who is offered employment will be screened against lists of known and suspected terrorists.
* Welthungerhilfe values diversity and ensures an inclusive, non-discriminatory working environment. We welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community.