West Africa Trade and Investment Hubrecruits 01 Monitoring Evaluation and Learning Specialist
Location Position: Dakar, Senegal.
Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic institutions and stabilization. Based in Washington, DC, Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the US Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
The USAID-funded West Africa Trade and Investment Hub Project (hereinafter referred to as the Trade Hub) is a five-year, $ 140 million trade and investment facilitation activity that seeks to improve private sector competitiveness in West Africa through a market-based approach . By working in partnership with the private sector and fostering co-investments, the project will generate new private-sector capital investment into key sectors to create jobs and increase trade between the US and West Africa, including through increased utilization of the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA). The project understood of three main components:
- Design and administration of a Co-Investment fund for private sector partnerships, including a portion for partnerships in Research and Development (R&D) towards innovating and modernizing practices in Nigeria across five targeted value chains;
- Technical assistance (TA) that directly supports, coordinates, and engages with qualifying recipients (ie, partners and grantees) to achieve USAID’s trade and food security objectives;
- Urgently respond to the secondary economic impacts of COVID-19, notably to increase the access of working capital with financial actors, prevent job loss, and respond to supply shortages by scaling up local response.
Through this Co-Investment fund and technical assistance, the Trade Hub will improve companies’ abilities to expand business operations, increase productivity, and create jobs that build on the talents and aspirations of West Africa’s growing population. The Trade Hub will collaborate on specific commercial opportunities with firms, service providers, research organizations, as well as other business network actors to access private capital that will contribute to large-scale jobs, exports and investment, particularly with strong demonstrated or potential links to the US companies and investors.
Reporting & Supervision
The position will be reporting to the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Director, based in Abuja, Nigeria. The MEL Specialist will provide technical support in all monitoring, evaluation, and learning activities of the Trade Hub across different countries of its implementation.
- The MEL Specialist will support the MEL Director in developing Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) systems, including data quality assurance procedures, and compiling, processing and analyzing activity performance data.
- Ensure regular and consistent documentation and that reporting deliverables are met timely and in compliance with USAID rules and regulations.
- Participate in the development of Annual Work Plan(s), prepare and annual updating of the MEL Plan in alignment with project’s expected deliverables and results;
- Maintain an up-to-date catalog of all project MEL tools and forms in electronic and hard copy data files;
- Ensure quality and streamlined data entry in Creative corporate web-based MEL platform MEDAL (Monitoring and Evaluation Database for Adaptive Learning);
- Coordinate with regional project’s field staff to receive grantees’ raw MEL datasets, populate MEDAL, building global dashboards, suggest changes and improvements to data structuring and collection;
- Analyze data and create user-friendly dashboards for the Trade Hub;
- Assist in the collection, storage, and analysis of accurate, high quality, and reliable data and GIS information, in particular, ensure performance indicators and output, outcome, and impact data are prepared and collected properly in targeted geographic and thematic areas;
- Identify in-country MEL training and STTA needs and ensure that these needs are met and provide training on MEL activities as needed;
- Ensure that partners submit reports within the agreed time schedule;
- Conduct project site visits to collect quantitative and qualitative data; including site visits for secondary verification of data results;
- Collaborate with the Gender & Social Inclusion Manager, based in Abuja, to integrate gender into MEL by identifying key indicators and ensuring lessons learned are collected to inform future program design and implementation;
- Supports the project’s Collaborating, Learning, and Adapting (CLA) approach to monitoring and evaluation; and
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the MEL Director.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in International Development, Monitoring and Evaluation, Economic, Statistics, Agriculture, other relevant Social Sciences and/or equivalent combination of education and work experience is required. Master’s degree in any of these field will be an advantage.
- Minimum of three (4) years’ work experience in relevant position in international development programming and implementing MEL systems for USAID funded projects in Economic Growth is required.
- Experience working across West Africa countries will be an advantage
- Experience conducting data collection required; including using qualitative and quantitative techniques;
- Excellent computer skills, particularly with Microsoft Excel, SPSS and other statistical packages;
- Demonstrated experience in MEL report writing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and teamwork;
- Proficiency in written French and English is required.
- Must be legally authorized to work in West Africa and willing to travel across the region.
Closing Date: 4th Sept 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter to: [email protected] Using the « Job Title and Location ‘as the subject of the mail.
Local candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Only finalists will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Creative Associates International Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Disability / Veteran.