PNUD recruits 01 Poilcy Specilaist
Programme des Nations Unies pour l’environnement
Vacance de poste
Intitulé publication : Poilcy Specilaist Département / Bureau : Programme des Nations Unies pour l’environnementLieu d’affectation : NAIROBI Période de candidature : 24 novembre 2021 No de l’appel á candidature : 21-United Nations Environment Programme-168326-ConsultantStaffing Exercise N/AValeurs fondamentales de l’ONU : intégrité, professionnalisme, respect de la diversité
Result of Service Working under the overall supervision of and reporting to the Chief of the Environmental Conventions and Governance Branch, the contractor will work closely with all the Branch colleagues as well as with relevant colleagues from the Law Division and other Divisions/Offices to:
• Facilitate programme and policy development of the Environmental Governance and Conventions Branch by building on the existing work plan of the Branch and by making a structured analysis of the key components of the ongoing projects and activities.
• Based on the analysis of the existing and previous activities/projects, including by stocktaking of the recommendations and outcomes of mid-term and terminal evaluations of old projects, and as well as possible gaps that could be addressed by future activities, assist in the development of strategic umbrella policy for the Branch, including a theory of change and prioritizing the key areas of action in delivering the Environmental Governance Subprogramme of the UNEP Medium-term Strategy 2022-25.
• Identify effective delivery modalities for the Branch activities, building on the comparative advantage of the Law Division.
• Elaborate on opportunities to strengthen cooperation with the existing partners and identify new ones.
• In close consultation with the project managers of the Branch and based on the contributions from the different units and branches of the Law Division, develop a draft action plan for the Law Division to support the implementation of the post-2020 global biodiversity framework based on the document CBD/WG2020/3/3 under negotiations in the Subsidiary Body on Implementation, Convention on Biological Diversity.
Work LocationHome Based
Expected durationThe Duration of the contract is 3 months
Duties and Responsibilities The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
The UNEP Medium-term Strategy (MTS) for 2022-25 recasts the global environmental narrative clearly and powerfully and draws links among the three planetary crises — climate change, biodiversity loss and pollution. Promoting international environmental governance is one of the key priorities of the organization as indicated in the new MTS and the Programme of Work 2022-2023. Environmental governance is the institutional and legal architecture needed to make environmental goals and commitments a reality. Supporting countries in developing and implementing environmental policies in an integrated manner and abiding by strong legal and institutional frameworks that effectively achieve environmental goals in the context of sustainable development at the global, regional and national levels is part of UNEP’s core work, as highlighted in paragraphs 88 and 89 of “The future we want” outcome document adopted at the 2012 UN Conference on Sustainable Development. As such, the Environmental Governance Subprogramme underpins the pivotal work of UNEP in tackling the three planetary crises as one of the two foundational subprogrammes.
The UNEP Law Division’s Environmental Governance and Conventions Branch spearheads UNEP’s efforts to advance international environmental governance in the context of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Its work ranges from supporting intergovernmental discussions aimed at reinforcing the role of UNEP as the leading global environmental authority to providing capacity building for countries to comply with their obligations under various multilateral environmental agreements (MEAs). In this regard, the Environmental Governance and Conventions Branch acts as a critical pillar for the Environmental Governance Supbrogramme in support of the implementation of the MTS and the Programme of Work.
With the new MTS 2022-2025 and its alignment with the 2030 Agenda and the post-2020 global processes for biodiversity and chemicals and wastes underway for adoption, there is a need to review the strategic work of the Environmental Governance and Conventions Branch in delivering coherent outcomes, building on UNEP’s mandate. A robust delivery structure for the Branch is needed to maximize cooperation and coordination across the different project teams and individuals. Moving forward, the Branch will place increasingly more emphasis on supporting the implementation of the MEAs at regional and national levels, and to that end work with national focal points, relevant government experts as well as other UN agencies and stakeholders. As part of its capacity building support, Environmental Governance and Conventions Branch will continue to develop practical tools and approaches to enhance coherent implementation of the MEAs and contribute to strengthened environmental governance.
The consultant under the supervision of the Environmental Governance and Conventions Branch Chief will be responsible for the following:
1) Formulate a strategic umbrella policy for the Environmental Governance and Conventions Branch so that it can better deliver on its mandate to promote effective environmental governance at all levels.
2) Develop an Action Plan for the Law Division to support the implementation of the post-2020 global biodiversity framework as part of the overall work of UNEP to implement the global framework.
Qualifications/special skills Academic Qualifications: Academic Qualifications: University master’s degree in sustainable development, environment, communication or related area;
• Proven expertise in policy formulation and programme/project development particularly in the context of the UN system.
• Excellent research, analytical and writing skills, with good understanding of the international environmental governance system at all levels and in particular how the strengthened national governance systems can contribute to the achievement of the global environmental objectives.
• Knowledge of the UNEP strategic policy documents, including its Medium-term Strategy and the Programme of Work.Experience: • At least 10 years of progressively responsible experience working on issues related to sustainable development and MEAs in a government/intergovernmental setting; preferably at least 5 of those 10 years dealing with matters related to the Convention on Biological Diversity with an overall knowldege and understanding of the key objectives and matters related to the other UNEP-administered global MEAs.Language: Fluency in English.
Aucun frais de dossier THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS. POSTULER