Background Information – Senegal
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Located in Dakar, the UNOPS office in Senegal has developed a strong working relation with the Governments of West Africa and international partners over the years. It provides technical support in strategic development areas including elections; procurement and related capacity building; environmental protection, as well as infrastructure rehabilitation and development.
The functions and services of the National Programme Management Officer – Infrastructure include:
- Strategic Planning/Portfolio Support: Ensuring UNOPS is focused on doing the right projects by supporting management decision-making.
- Delivery Support: Ensuring UNOPS is doing projects the right way, through the effective delivery of the programme and projects.
- Best Practices: Applying UNOPS standards in project management, encouraging consistent working practices and ensuring appropriate application
As a part of the PMO team, the Programme Management Officer has the following responsibilities:
A. Development and planning
- Provide analytical support for the strategic direction and oversight on programme and project management activities in line with service agreements and project documents
- Contribute to maintaining and implementing appropriate standards and best practices in line with UNOPS policies and procedures.
- Identify key programme and project resource requirements in close coordination with the Hub Director/ Head of Programme
- Provide analytical support to the proper development, implementation and, as and when appropriate, amendments, of project budgets and staffing resources, ensuring synergies across the UNOPS Senegal Hub.
- Contribute to the development and establishment of resource tracking systems for use within the PMO, complementary to UNOPS’ online tools, to ensure effective planning, forecasting and tracking of delivery across the UNOPS Senegal Hub.
- Participate in the identification and anticipation in a timely manner of the potential risks and issues and propose mitigating measures to the Director of Hub and Head of Program.
B. Projects Set-up and closure
- Contribute to the development of the programme/project plans, including the collation of lower-level plans into programme/project-level milestones.
- Analyze the development, tracking and maintaining of dependencies.
- Liaise closely with the Finance Manager regarding all project assets and finance related issues.
- Support the process of project closure. If being nominated as Engagement Closure Manager (ECM), oversees, supports and coordinates all project closure activities.
- Ensure appropriate disposal of project assets,
- Ensure timely and effective final (operational) reporting and initiation of financial disbursements as appropriate during Defects Notification Period,
- Ensure the updating of information on the UNOPS MIS, and effective handover of closed projects to UNOPS HQ for financial closure processes
C. Monitoring and reporting
- Provide analytical and technical support in the development and implementation of Processes, Management and Information Management Systems to ensure proper monitoring and evaluation of Programme and project activities
- Support preparation of the regular project reports in accordance with donor guidelines for reporting
- Contribute to the regular review project status, evaluating performance criteria (scope, cost, schedule and quality)
- Maintain diaries and progress reports as required by UNOPS standard procedures
- Participate in the routine oversight and analysis of delivery data within the dashboard system, using UNOPS ERP system (OneUNOPS) as required
- Participate in the routine maintenance and implementation of effective monitoring and evaluation systems of programme and project activities, in line with logical frameworks
D. Stakeholder engagement
- Provide analytical support to the development of the stakeholder profiles and to the formulation of stakeholder engagement strategies
- Support the formulation of programme and project communications plans
- Contribute to the stakeholder engagement and communication, ensuring effective timing and interdependency management of communications across programmes and projects
E. Quality assurance
- At the request and in conjunction with the Head of Program , support PMO oversight of UNOPS Senegal Hub programme and project portfolio as assigned, establishing a direct relationship with relevant project managers to facilitate efficient delivery and management of portfolios
- Conduct regular financial variance analysis for the UNOPS Senegal Hub programmes and projects
- Ensure compliance with UNOPS defined standards for programme/project management
- Provide support to Programme and Project Managers with planning and execution of project deliveries according to best practices.
- Assist Programme and Project Managers in the implementation of standard Project Management processes and tools
- Contribute to the quality reviews of programme/project documents and deliverables
- Contribute quality control for management products (project documents, reports, etc.)
- Work with internal audit and finance to ensure the programme complies with audit requirements
- Work with procurement/purchasing staff to ensure effective interface with suppliers’ quality systems
F. Knowledge management and innovation**
- Support routine and effective capacity building activities are conducted in order to build the long-term and sustainable capacity of staff and personnel
- Participate in, and advocate PMs’ participation in, relevant Communities of Practice
- Actively interact with PMs and the wider PM community to share case studies, lessons learned and best practices in the Knowledge System
- Provides feedback to Practice Leads on policy and supporting guidance working to achieve continuous improvement of UNOPS policies
- Contributes to the oversight of lessons learned procedures, ensuring that lessons learnt are shared in a timely and appropriate manner
- Performs other related duties as assigned
G. Monitoring and Progress Control
The key results have an impact on the overall economy, efficiency, and effectiveness of the Project operations as it relates to the use of corporate resources in the following areas:
- Financial services
- Human Resources
- Procurement and logistical services
- Transportation services
- Project Monitoring and Reporting
- Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering, and/or Architecture, and/or Project Management, and/or Business Administration or other relevant discipline is required
- Candidate/s with Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or Engineering or Architecture or Construction Management or Project Management with a combination of 2 additional years of relevant professional experience will be accepted.**Experience**
- A minimum of 2 years of professional experience specifically in the field of infrastructure or Infrastructure Project Management is required.
- Experience with data analysis, management reporting and project management tools and information management systems is a strong advantage
- Experience working in developing countries (especially Africa) is a strong advantage
- Experience working in an international environment is highly desired
- Experience dealing with government officials is an advantage
Experience working on infrastructure project is an advantage
- Fluency in French is required
- Working knowledge of English is a strong advantage
Contract type, Level, Duration
Contract type: Individual Contract Agreement
Contract level: LICA Specialist-8
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.