Asmae recruits 01 Technical Advisor – Inclusive Education (Fixed-Term Contract – Egyptian Labour Law)
- ORGANIZATION BACKGROUND:
Asmae is a French international solidarity NGO specialized in child development. It is independent, non-religious, non-political, and open to everyone.
Created in 1980 by Sister Emmanuelle following her experience with scavengers in Egypt’s slums, Asmae keeps on respecting its founder’s values and methods: listening and proximity, pragmatism, respect of the differences, professionalism and reciprocity.
Asmae’s action aims to support vulnerable children and their families through providing tailor-made and long lasting support to local stakeholders working on education and child protection.
Its vision, “ A fair world which guarantees that children can live and grow with dignity within their environment, to become free women and men who contribute to society ” , is broken down into four missions:
- Stimulate child development through a global approach. To do this, Asmae also works on family support by taking their environment into account;
- Build the capacity of local stakeholders involved in child development, boost cooperation amongst them and maximize their social impact;
- Stand up for children by raising awareness and advocating;
- Experiment, disseminate and share practices.
Nowadays Asmae supports education and child protection projects through 20 local organizations in Burkina Faso, Egypt, France, Lebanon, Madagascar, and the Philippines. Furthermore, in France, Asmae also directly manages a mother and childcare center.
In Egypt, Asmae is registered under the Ministry of Solidarity since May 2015. Asmae promotes education and child protection within four areas of intervention: (1) prevention of school dropout and underperformance, (2) support to children with disabilities (3) prevention and care of children at risk, (4) and support to adolescents; in which Asmae supported four Egyptian Associations.
Asmae Egypt’ team is based in Cairo with four main personnel members: one Country Representative, one Senior Project officer, one Administrative and Financial Officer, one National Office Assistant and an Office Boy.
- GENERAL OVERVIEW OF POSITION / WORKING CONDITIONS:
Job Title: Technical Advisor – Inclusive Education (TA-IE)
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Line Manager: Asmae Country Representative
- Country Office : Administrative and Financial Officer, National Office Assistant, Senior Project Officer
- Head Office : Programme Department (Program Manager, Education and Protection Technical Advisor)
Status: Fixed-term local contract (15 months)
Start Date: October 1 st , 2021
Remuneration: EGP 18,800 gross salary
Under the supervision of Country Representative, the Technical Advisor for Inclusive Education contributes to the design and the implementation of Asmae’s area of intervention “support to children/youth with disabilities » in Egypt. The TA-IE is expected to support two partners operational team in defining, developing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating the rehabilitation program for children/youth with special needs in their educational centers.
She/he will provide technical direction, oversight, and leadership to create opportunities to engage social and educational inclusion.
The TA-IE will work closely with the Asmae Country Representative, Project Senior Officer and Asmae partners to ensure that gender, youth, equity and social inclusion aspects are incorporated, well-developed, and progress in all technical activities, particularly communications activities that promote social behaviour change.
4.1 Support Asmae two partners (Basmat Amal and Kayan NGOs) in reviewing and implementing their global support plan for children/youth with disabilities at their educational centers to improve the quality of their intervention
- Perform a diagnosis of Asmae’s two partners’ strategy, tools, methods and skills related to their work with children/youth with difficulties (learning difficulties, type of disabilities, psychological issues, violence, etc.)
- Work with Asmae two partners’ staff to identify their needs of training and development in the fields of child development and special education, psychology and Children’s Right, Youth Participation
- Support the two partners in the implementation of their support plan (field activities, training, monitoring and evaluation)
- Assess students’ abilities and performance in activities that are related to the curriculum and applicable to activities of daily living.
- Identify and documents students’ educational/developmental/functional needs with the Individualized Education Program team (IEP).
- Develop, coordinate and implement individual occupational therapy intervention plans that support the IEP goals and objectives.
- Design, plan and execute group occupational therapy plans, which support the specialized instructional setting.
- Develop training modules based on identified needs, and train Asmae’s partners on it.
- Train partner’s educators in areas such as sensory motor, sensory stimulation and body awareness, fine motor and gross motor skills and other areas within the therapist’s area of expertise.
- Monitor and follow up the post-training and support the SPO in developing monitoring and evaluation and impact measurement tools
- Administer pre-test prior to the capacity building plan implementation and measure the progression through pre/post-test comparison.
4.2 Support Asmae two partners (Basmat Amal and Kayan NGOs) in the design and implementation of a support/rehabilitation plan for youth with disabilities inclusion at school level :
- Support the partner in the design and Development of tools, pedagogical materials related to special education with a focus on active learning, psychosocial approach, multidisciplinary teamwork
- Support the partner educators in developing and providing services and activities suitable for individual student capabilities toward improvement of the student’s academic achievement, and provides educationally related occupational therapy services to students with various disabilities in accordance with the student’s Individualized Education Plan (IEP).
- Provide consultative services to parents, students, educators and program staff in implementing the student’s IEP and respond to their inquiries.
- Conduct a cascade training of trainers and select with the partners trainers for partner school training (teachers, parents, community leaders, etc.)
- Assist with the development of students’ transition plans, programs and goals.
- Conduct assessments, actions taken and monitor the student’s progress.
- Provide occupational therapy solutions for students with physical limitations, sensory, or cognitive problems and/or other areas of concern for the purpose of aiding the students’ rehabilitation and improves their school performance.
- Demonstrate appropriate activities for students with disabilities to educational specialists.
- Support in equipping of resources room and selection of learning resources that match with students with disabilities specific needs in partner schools.
- Design in coordination with Asmae partners a training plan associated to a monitoring/evaluation system,
- Work with project management team to raise awareness and capacity of project staff and parents of youth with disabilities on issues related to inclusive education challenges and best practices.
4.3 Participate in the implementation of Asmae’s strategy in Egypt and provide technical inputs on effective strategies/practices to mainstream inclusive education in programming
- Collaborate with partners and experts on common topics such as children development and learning (special educational needs and disability) to identify best practices in terms of Inclusive Education and Youth participation
- Organize, facilitate experience sharing and networking events between NGOs working in the same field.
- Develop and lead the implementation of the project’s educational and social inclusion strategy and action plan, including the adaptation and development of tools to support the strategy and action plan of inclusive education.
- Provide technical leadership and oversight on the integration of inclusive education approaches across the Youth Participation, Inclusion & Protection Project “YPIP” project activities.
- Conduct relevant research on Inclusive education, and consolidate information from available national/NGO/INGO research, statistics, reviews, reports
- Provide orientation to the team on CWD status, laws, concerns, challenges etc.
- Provide learning materials/references on CWD to the team
- Ensure compliance with Asmae’s global guidelines on child protection programming
- Submit a monthly progress report to his/her Line Manager on the outcomes of the work achieved in line with the pre-set action plan and future interventions.
- Conduct an impact assessment at the end of the intervention to measure the effectiveness of educators and students’ performance and changed practices after the project intervention.
- Submit a final progress technical report with the holistic approach used, progress achieved after TA’s intervention, outcomes, success stories, lesson learned and future recommendations.
5- EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
- Advanced university degree in development studies, social sciences, special education certification or other related discipline.
- Child development, neuromuscular function/dysfunction, sensory motor integration, kinesiology, skeletal anatomy and basic pathology related to orthopaedic disabilities.
- Individual and group occupational therapy techniques commonly used for students with special needs.
- Principles, methods and equipment used in occupational therapy.
- Educational and medical applications of adaptive equipment.
- Generally accepted standards of health and sanitation.
- Case management principles.
- Record keeping practices and procedures.
- At least 10 years of experience in delivering training, planning, design and implementation of educational curricula with focus on special education; and report writing;
- Proved experience in capacity building training and changing attitudes in educational settings.
- Broad knowledge of the theories, principles, practices and methodology of special education;
- Experience working with NGO in the sector of inclusive education and child protection; and knowledge of Child Rights Based approach
- Working knowledge of special education policies, procedures and programs
6- PROFESSIONAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Discrete, high-energy, agile-minded, strategic, proactive, a direct communicator, highly-organized and committed to the vision and values of Asmae and the IPS Special Education Department
- Develop, plan and implement an educationally related occupational therapy program for students with various disabilities and learning difficulties.
- Assess individual students and develop appropriate intervention which includes goals/objectives of IEP team.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with parents, students, staff and community agencies.
- Plan, organize work and maintain accurate records.
- Work confidentially with discretion.
- Ability to be creative in developing alternatives to meet special education needs at each school;
- Excellent communication skills and strong analytical and writing capabilities in both English and Arabic;
- Strong organizational, oral and written communication, and interpersonal skills;
- Proactive nature; able to anticipate conflicts before they arise;
- Ability to work well independently as well as collaboratively;
- Ability to execute meetings, calls and emails with professionalism, courtesy and accuracy;
- Experience working with students with a variety of disabilities and in an educational setting is preferred.
Qualified candidates are requested to send their resumes (no longer than 5 pages) along with their previous experience, certification and cover letter to email [email protected] stating the “Technical Advisor – Inclusive Education” title in the subject of their email.
Applications close date is 4 th of September 2021 at 5:00 PM
Any applications received after this date will be disregarded