IFC recruits 01 Extended-Term Consultant – ETC (Operations Analyst)
Banque et Assurances
Extended-Term Consultant – ETC (Operations Analyst)
Job #: req14451Organization: IFCSector: Advisory ServicesGrade: EC1Term Duration: 1 year 0 monthsRecruitment Type: Local RecruitmentLocation: Nairobi,KenyaRequired Language(s): EnglishPreferred Language(s): Closing Date: 1/10/2022 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2021, IFC committed a record $31.5 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
IFC’s SME Ventures program (“SME V” or the “Program”) is part of IFC’s Disruptive Technologies and Funds Group (“CDF”). SME V is designed to increase access to risk capital by SMEs in emerging markets with a focus on Low Income IDA and Fragile and Conflict States, working through locally based fund managers/SME Funds. The Program’s advisory component provides technical assistance to support the performance of these SME Funds, including support to the fund manager teams (“FMs”) and portfolio companies (“Investees” or “SMEs”):
1. Fund manager skills and systems; 2. SME Portfolio value creation; 3. SME Management and functional support; and 4. SME Compliance with governance, and environmental & social standards.5. In addition, SME Ventures develops workstreams to improve the regulatory environment for private equity funds in its target markets, working jointly with the World Bank.
Duties and Accountabilities The Operations Analyst supports the SME Ventures project team in the preparation, administration, and supervision of advisory projects, working in close collaboration with the Advisory Program Lead and Value Creation Specialist (“the Projects leaders”). The Operations Analyst will support the team with specific responsibilities for key administrative functions relating to:
• Advisory Project setup in IFC’s iPortal system;• Advisory agreements for technical assistance delivery;• Procurement of Consulting firms and Individuals to deliver expertise to the FMs and investees;• Consultant contract delivery reviews and analysis;• Grant monitoring including performance monitoring and disbursements;• Results measurement according to established indicators, and preparation of project supervision reports;• Drafting of quarterly management and donor activity reports; • Technical Assistance budget source and use analysis, adjustments, and other supporting analysis on the SME Ventures advisory portfolio.
The Operations Analyst will have specific targets and responsibilities on the projects to encourage focus and professional development. The Operations Analyst will report to the Advisory Program Lead, SME Ventures. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
I). Advisory Portfolio
Project Initiation Support:
Assist in processing internal documentation and presentations for technical assistance support to the Fund managers and investees for management approval, including;Detailed scope of technical assistance activities and budget line items;Results measurement indicators at activity output, resulting outcomes and impacts.
Assist in procurement of appropriate experts and consultants for advisory assignments and develop relevant Terms of references (“ToR”) in coordination with the project leaders.Assist in the preparation of project supervision and completion reports, particularly tracking of key performance indicators against targets established at project start;Monitor project timelines to ensure objectives and various project updates are completed according to internal guidelines;Ensure adequate data quality in all project documents and provide supplementary data gathering support for evaluations;Collaborate with project team and senior consultants to carry out specific tasks including desk reviews, data analysis, financial projections, preparation of notes, taking minutes of meetings, writing memoranda, preparation of briefs and presentations.Work in partnership with project leaders and the donor relations team to prepare initial drafts of semi-annual donor reports, based on project supervision documents.
Finance and Budgeting
• Monitor and update project budgets in iPortal regularly to ensure that financial reporting is accurate, timely and aligned with SAP reports produced by the finance team;• Manage interface with finance team on timely submission of consultant invoices to ensure accurate financial reporting within a quarterly period;• Manage allocation of consultant and other project costs to correct WBS elements;• Monitor charging of staff time to ensure accurate cost allocation against correct WBS elements;• Work with the project leaders to monitor and update budgets and spend at both the project and aggregate levels;• Track Trust Fund spend and availability monthly. Alert program leaders when project funds are running low and support process of topping up trust funds; • Liaise with donor team on establishing new trust funds and WBS elements to ensure optimal TF structure.
II) General Support
• Any other duties including preparatory work for non-project specific tasks, management presentations and advisory updates, knowledge management events, conferences, webinars and any training and workshops.
• Minimum Bachelor’s degree and at least 3-5 years of relevant experience in the region, preferably working in project/business analyst or research roles with consulting firms, development finance institutions or donor/development organizations. • Team player with good problem solving and analytical skills, with an ability to execute tasks promptly and effectively.• Organizational and communications skills, including the ability to represent IFC work credibly at senior executive levels.• Advanced user level proficiency in PowerPoint, Excel, Word is a must; report writing capabilities and ability to comprehend and analyze large amounts of data/information and translate into ideas and actionable plans is required• Strong command over English (written and verbal) is a must. • Competency in IFC/world Bank platforms, procedures, and key documents necessary to carry out tasks: iPortal (Advisory), IBIS, eConsultant2, Cognos, SAP, Procurement guidelines, grant agreement template, cooperation agreement templates, are desirable. • Proficiency in relevant research tools e.g., Factiva, IBM, MIX, Bloomberg, EIU, advanced google search, WBG databases).
World Bank Group Core Competencies
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
Note: The selected candidate will be offered a one-year appointment, renewable for an additional one year, at the discretion of the World Bank Group, and subject to a lifetime maximum ET Appointment of two years. If an ET appointment ends before a full year, it is considered as a full year toward the lifetime maximum. Former and current ET staff who have completed all or any portion of their second-year ET appointment are not eligible for future ET appointments.