Wave is hiring a Security Analyst
Since 2014, our Sendwave app has allowed Africans in the US, the UK, and Canada to send money instantly to mobile money wallets in Kenya, Uganda, & Tanzania, saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
In 2016, we expanded our scope and began building Wave, a mobile money product for domestic markets in Africa.
The problem: Nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa have no bank account. That’s for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
How we’re solving it: We’re building financial services to work as they should: no account fees, instantly available and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don’t always function, we’re creating financial infrastructure that « just works. » In fall 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. We’ve recently expanded to Cote d’Ivoire and are adding more countries this year. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. That’s where you come in…
How you’ll help us achieve it
We’re looking for a security analyst who’s resourceful and excited about getting things done. You’ll join a small team and take ownership on a variety of projects to help us stay secure as we scale throughout the world
In this role, you’ll:
• Design and operate defense and monitoring processes and deploy related tools
• Work closely with particular teams and stakeholders to implement security improvements in their scope
• Contribute to company-wide risk assessments and prioritization
• Research and understand specific threats and threat vectors
• Write playbooks and train other team members on security related processes and topics
• Triage reports and alerts and respond to incidents
• Document and communicate about security processes with compliance and other stakeholders
• Help figure out what security looks like at an international, distributed company
• You can work remotely from anywhere (between UTC -5 and +4) with reliable Internet access
• Both of our two teams have regular retreats, which are one week in length. Wave covers all costs associated with travel to and from retreats. In this role you would be expected to travel for retreats 6-10 weeks a year.
• Salaries are calculated using a transparent formula.
• Subsidized health insurance for you and your dependents and retirement contributions (both vary from country-to-country)
• 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
• Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
• $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
• At least four years of information technology or software engineering experience with two years in an information security-related role
• Comfort navigating technical documentation and configuring IT systems
• Fluency in English
You might be a good fit if you
• Have strong analytical skills
• Can get up to speed quickly on new subject area matter
• Enjoy cooperating with others internally and externally to achieve shared goals
• Can design processes that sustainably achieve goals and work for all stakeholders
• Are comfortable ruthlessly prioritizing the most important work
• Are excessively detail oriented in your approach
Bonus points if you
• Have worked on security at a growth stage startup
• Have deep knowledge in one or more of the following areas:
• Network configuration and monitoring
• Intrusion detection
• Security Incident response
• Malware detection and analysis
• Security ecosystem and threat analysis
• Can converse in French
You’ll work with both the Sendwave team (~100 people, distributed) and the Wave team (~40 distributed, ~90 Senegal based, ~20 Cote d’Ivoire based). All of those people are deeply passionate about our mission of bringing great financial services to the people who need them most.
We’re backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
If interested, please apply below by submitting a resume, as well as a cover letter in English describing your interest in Wave and the role. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we’ll let you in on a secret: there’s no such thing as a ‘perfect’ candidate. Wave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.
Closing date : 22 April 2020