INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Programme Coordinator / Deputy Head of Mission
Duty station: Aden, Yemen
Starting date: 23/08/2020
Contract duration: 12 months
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: Project Managers, activity coordinators and reporting officers
General context of the project
General purpose of the position
The Programme Coordinator will assist the Head of Mission specifically following the overall country programme development and management in accordance with INTERSOS’ country strategies, plans and policies.
The Programme Coordinator will be primarily responsible to ensure quality assurance and enhanced accountability. ?
Main responsibilities and tasks
Development and management of INTERSOS’ programmes
- Direct line management of the Project Managers and provide leadership and support to the INTERSOS programme team: capacity building, supervision and performance evaluation.
Leading role in the development of a country strategy and programme design:
- Lead the definition of the programming strategy for INTERSOS with HoM and technical coordinators, in addition to develop an operational action plan and support structure.
- Support the HoM to design the Country Strategy.
- Leading role in the development and management of a multi-sector and holistic resilience programme and ensure strong coordination between the different sub-offices, programme sectors and Project Managers.
- Define partnership strategy with national counterparts (CBOs, NGOs, local authorities, different line ministries, etc.).
- Lead the development of new concepts and proposals (writing of the technical part and contributing to the design of the budget) for existing donors and to seek new funding opportunities, under the supervision of the HoM.
- Input into the fundraising strategy, and coordination of fundraising opportunities alongside and supported by the Head of Mission.
- Ensure that programmes are implemented in a consultative, participative, and transparent and gender-sensitive way.
- Ensure that the Programme department is liaising with other departments (admin-finance, logistics-procurement, HR, M&E, communication) for programme implementation and reporting to donors.
- Ensure active participation of INTERSOS partners in all steps of the Programme Cycle Management and strengthening partners’ capacities in pre-identified areas; including community participation.
Ensuring quality implementation of program and driving improvements in programme quality: Accountability and Monitoring, Evaluation, Assessment and Learning (MEAL)
- Provide support and supervision to the Project Managers through regular field visit, meeting with the staff and the line managers, supervise the planning of the activities and programs. Organize internal meetings on specific subjects.
- Monitor and evaluate programme work to maintain and/or improve the quality, incorporating learning in the programme and ensuring achievement of the desired impact.
- Provide monthly direction and feedback to Project Managers to ensure all projects have an accurate and regularly updated financial plan, procurement plan, PAT, work plan, monthly reports and interim/financial reports (narrative and final).
- Supervise and review reporting, and when needed prepare reports him/herself: assure timely quality reports (internal and external; monthly, interim and final reports).
- Promote beneficiary/affected population centred approach.
- Work with the team to develop innovative ways for community feedback (e.g. effective complaint mechanisms).
- Ensure external evaluations which are programmed and budgeted are executed, and information found is used for internal lessons learnt, donor reporting and proposals.
- Ensure proper follow up of monitoring results, sharing relevant results to senior management and having overall strategic awareness of programme impacts.
Supervise, plan and monitor the work of the Quality (MEAL) Department. Ensure the Quality/MEAL Department delivers on the following aspects:
- Guarantee innovation and use of smart tools for the implementation of programmes.
- Initiate research on specific thematic aiming at building evidence for quality proposal development (assessment), programme delivery (monitoring/evaluation materials processing) and on change processes putting the affected population at the centre of the research (learning) and when possible evidences to feed joint leverage-advocacy efforts (INGO forum or at Cluster level).
- Ensure regular review of INTERSOS programming against Core Humanitarian Standards and promote a proactive integration of the benchmarks throughout the different phases of the project cycle.
- Ensure each project of INTERSOS is regularly reviewing frameworks and monitoring results against set indicators
- Supporting teams in capacity building on MEAL.
As a transversal approach and indirect outcome: building effective programme teams
- Leading role in reflection on collaborative ways of working within the team and with other teams, and role modelling these behaviours.
- Helping individuals and the team to achieve objectives through day-to-day support, monthly face to face meetings, regular team meetings, which include discussions of progress against objectives, giving feedback, challenges and encouragement.
- Supporting personal and career development of direct reports (and the team as a whole).
- Ensuring a secure, safe and healthy working environment.
- Guide internal capacity building efforts for INTERSOS teams on Accountability/MEAL tools (generic).
- Identify training and organize capacity building for the national and international staff (nationalization of the staff is a priority of the mission). In collaboration with HR and HoM, support the recruitment of the staff
Representation, Coordination and Advocacy
In coordination with HOM and consultation with sector coordinator and PMs:
- Establish and maintain collaborative relations with relevant donors, local authorities, partners, project stakeholders and other organizations working in the project areas.
- Proactively engaging with donors, international NGO and other actors participating at coordination meetings.
- Represent INTERSOS in relevant meetings.
- Ensure INTERSOS representation in appropriate external programmatic forums/working groups/task forces and clusters.
- Play the role of Deputy Head of Mission in INGO coordination fora.
- Organizing programme meetings on a monthly basis.
- Seek to develop strategic partnerships with local organizations, wherever possible.
Gap filling for project managers
- During gaps in recruitment
- During leaves (annual leave or R&R)
By 15th of each next month to delivery short monthly report that contains:
- Overview of general trend/analysis of operating environment
- Progress summary of program – focus on challenges, risk mitigation strategies and working points for next month
To perform any other work-related duties if applicable.
Experience / Training
Required profile and experience
- MA in social sciences or related field
- Minimum 3 years relevant working experience in humanitarian project management with INGO, including direct financial management of project budget and implementation of multi-sectoral programming in complex emergencies, ideally including protection.
- Prior experience in working in complex emergency setting, involving displacement and armed conflict.
- Demonstrated experience in staff supervision and remote management.
- Experience with monitoring and accountability tools and systems.
- Willingness and ability to deliver on reporting requirements related to this position (50% of time) – including the write reports him/herself, related to gaps in resources
- Attention to detail and structured way of approaching tasks (very organized)
- Good knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and other relevant software (ODK, KOBO, etc.)
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Arabic would be asset (read and write)
- Excellent observation capacity and analytical skills
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic/negotiation skills
- Practical and problem-solver
- Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment
- Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment (stress-resilient)
- Ability to plan ahead and output oriented (pro-active)
- Ability to deal with heavy work pressure; while living in a heavy restricted living environment (limited movement)
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below:
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps : register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format . Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to [email protected] , with subject line: “ Platform issue – SR-35-1507 – Programme Coordinator / Deputy Head of Mission ”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references , including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.