IPPFAR recruits 01 Advocacy Specialist
- JOB PURPOSE
Under the overall supervision of the Head of the Office, the post holder will support the advocacy team in advocacy for the Maputo Plan of Action and other SRHR programmes; monitoring changes in social and political dynamics, and upcoming national, regional and major global events to reposition IPPFAR. S/he will be to lead sub regional advocacy initiative, overseeing and monitoring the MPoA implementation in programme designated countries Cote d’Ivoire, Kenya, Malawi, Morocco and Senegal. Emphasis will be placed on contributing towards a favourable legislation on the provision of safe abortion services to enable access to services for women and girls.
The incumbent shall support AU related campaigns and other strategic intergovernmental forums.
- KEY TASKS
• Routinely advocates and monitors the implementation, coordination and performance of MPoA at country and sub-regional levels.
• Develops programme reach-out strategies on the MPoA project
• Provides quality technical information on sexual and reproductive health in general and in particular on abortion and access to family planning services.
• Facilitates stakeholder consultation and meetings at the national and sub-regional levels
• Represents the programme at platforms such as the African Union, ECA, regional forums, as well as in countries of collaboration – independent of technical supervision
• Contributes to advocacy for policy change in countries where abortion legislation is restrictive – by instituting advocacy-based advocacy.
• Conducts high level advocacy, education and sensitisation programmes on the MPoA
• Develops and publish advocacy policy briefs and reviews on SRHR, particularly safe abortion.
• To support the development and updating of a medical abortion database in collaboration with other stakeholders.
• To conducts occasional training sessions on existing policies that support SRHR, particularly focusing on women and girls.
• Supports programme leadership on the possible revisions of the MPoA programmes or proposals in conjunction with other team members.
• Prepares drafts and edits a range of documents including reports on activities, reports for the donor, and reports on the budget.
• Participates in mid-term and end of programme evaluations.
• Organises meetings with external and internal stakeholders on abortion related issues.
• Builds and maintains positive relationships with all members of staff and contacts within and outside the Federation, at country and sub-regional levels.
• Exercises high degree of accountability – ensuring timely submission of finance reports as required.
• S/he shall embrace safeguarding as well as all organisational policies;
• Undertake any duties as may be assigned by the supervisor or his/her representative from time to time To undertake any other duties as may be requested by the Head of Office.
Experience / Training
MA Degree in social sciences, public policy, international relations, communications and/or other related fields.
A minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience, preferably in political and policy advocacy and/or communications.
Knowledge of the African Union and UN systems, Africa Regional Economic Communities (RECs), Member State/Intergovernmental Processes is required.
English and French are the working languages of the ARO. For this post fluency in English and French (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of Portuguese is an advantage.
How to apply
For more details on the job description and on how to apply please visit https://www.ippfar.org/jobs
IPPF offers a wide range of benefits and is an equal opportunity employer.
Applications are particularly encouraged from women, people living with disabilities, people living with HIV and minorities.