VSF recruits 01 Sr Operational Communication Officer
Context & role
The Sr Operational Communication Officer will develop a communication strategy in order to communicate effectively on the work that we do for and with livestock-dependent communities in the South. The incumbent will guarantee that this strategy is aligned with the goals of the organization and s/he will be responsible for its implementation. S/he will co-ordinate a small team.
The position is based in Brussels, but the work will require regular field visits to the African project countries. A team of 20 colleagues work in our head office in Brussels.
Duties & Responsibilities
- S/he will develop communication strategies & action plans for Belgium & the project countries: develop VSF-B’s key messages; identify media opportunities in Belgium and project countries; support communication during major humanitarian emergencies.
- S/he will help to analyze the communication needs of the VSF-B projects & give support with specific communication tools that are consistent with the visual identity of VSF-B. The incumbent will collect written & audiovisual information about the projects, and convert these data into easily understandable and scientifically correct formats (publications, factsheets, infographics, maps, articles, reports, webinars…) to reach target audiences.
- S/he will train and coach VSF-B staff on communication issues (media training etc): give technical advice on communication & awareness raising campaigns; give support in using local, national and international media; help with the development of evaluation & monitoring tools (best practices); produce guidelines on a number of key issues.
- S/he co-ordinates the VSF-B’s OC-team (4 persons),
- S/he will be responsible for the follow-up of the OC-budget. The incumbent will identify potential institutional donors willing to co-finance OC-activities & draft proposals for these institutional donors.
- S/he will act as spokesperson for VSF-B & reference person for the media.
- The Sr Operational Communication Officer will report to the “Director of Communication” who is a member of the Direction Team.
Expériences / Formation
- Advanced degree (MA, MBA or equivalent) in (science) communication or journalism, political sciences, international relations & development, life sciences or other relevant subject from a recognized institution.
At least 5 years of experience in operational communication & campaigning in a management and/or advisory capacity working with senior management teams.
- Advanced competencies in establishing communication strategies & team management.
- Proven evaluation experience.
- Extensive experience in training activities and capacity building.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills (oral, written, presentational).
- Multiple language skills are a must (mother tongue level Dutch, excellent French and English).
People Skills: Ability to work independently and as a team player who demonstrates leadership and is able to support and train local and international staff and also able to work with local communities in a sensitive and participatory manner.
- Experience as spokesperson for the media. Excellent written and oral communication skills. Able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders as a representative of VSF-B.
- Integrity: Works with trustworthiness and integrity and has a clear commitment to VSF-B’s core values and humanitarian principles.
- Awareness and sensitivity of self and others: Demonstrates awareness and sensitivity to gender and diversity. Have experience and the ability to work in diverse cultural contexts in a culturally appropriate manner (field experience).
- Work style: Is well planned and organized and has a capacity for initiative and decision making with competent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to travel to Africa (field visits).
Vétérinaires Sans Frontières Belgium is a learning organization, with a committed team, focused on the quality of its approach in its missions, achievements and values.
In addition, as an employer, the organization offers compensation in line with the sector, with extra-legal benefits.
The organization takes care for a work-life balance for its employees
Ready to take up the challenge of a function combining the official representation of a recognized NGO and the deployment of a quality communication policy within the organization? While autonomously coordinating a small team of committed and professional employees in their field? It’s up to you!
Applications and cover letters with mention of 3 reference persons can be sent to [email protected] until Saturday October 2nd , specifying “SOCO Bxl” in the subject of your email.
This position is open to both male and female candidates. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and invited to participate in a practical exercise.
For more information : www.vsf-belgium.org