World Bank Group recruits 01 Head, Africa Region
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? The Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA) is a member of the World Bank Group, and our mission is to promote foreign direct investment into developing countries to help end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity. We do that through the provision of political risk insurance and credit enhancement to investors and lenders against losses caused by non-commercial risks. For more information, visit www.miga.org.
Recognizing the need for MIGA to be closer to prospective new clients, MIGA established its Africa Hub- a small team stationed in Dakar, and with a representative office in Nairobi, empowered to originate new business opportunities for MIGA in Africa in support of MIGA’s focus areas. The presence of staff in the region helps MIGA more effectively work with African based clients and allows the Agency to actively participate in regional markets and to benefit from the strength of outbound and inbound investments. It also offers a chance to build on the growing interest of investors looking for opportunities in emerging markets.
MIGA’s Operations Department (MIGOP) is seeking a Head of Africa Hub with extensive political risk underwriting, new business origination, and client relationship management experience, who will help identify new business opportunities for MIGA, achieve business targets and help grow MIGA’s guarantee business. This position will be based in Dakar or Nairobi.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Head of Africa Hub will play the primary role in developing MIGA’s business pipeline originating from Sub-Saharan Africa, with a particular focus on IDA and FCV countries. S/he will be responsible for developing and implementing strategies to identify clients/ projects in priority sectors, countries, and areas and oversee the provision of technical underwriting support from the region, conduct outreach to clients and provide overall quality assurance for work produced by the Africa region team. S/he will support the Operations Department in all areas including pipeline and portfolio management, new business development and meeting overall business targets for MIGA. S/he will also support the Director in policy, planning and strategy for the Africa region and be the primary counterpart for World Bank and IFC regional engagements and have close contact with the various CMUs on sector and regional issues impacting MIGA’s pipeline.
The work of the Head involves frequent interaction with top government officials and equivalent contacts in other international organizations, private sector companies and financial institutions that are clients or potential clients of MIGA, and counterparts within and across sectors, networks, and other WBG units. The role also requires contact, as the need arises, with the MIGA Board and Board Committees, and senior and executive management at Headquarters and in the field.
- Ensuring proper financial and fiduciary management of MIGA’s resources;
- Managing relationships with Host Government and Host Government Officials in countries identified as priority markets for the Agency;
- Collaborating with other units within MIGA, IFC, and the WBG to deliver high level business results, with a particular focus on WB/IFC regional staff;
- Working with sector managers to provide oversight of all political risk insurance underwriting and business origination work of the Europe team, including quality control of all papers and presentations for MIGA management and MIGA’s Board, and providing high level client management oversight including leadership or participation in client teams;
- Ensuring consistency of MIGA’s guarantees with WBG country assistance strategies;
- Identifying new business opportunities for MIGA in Africa using the PSW among other business development tools;
- Providing a specialized focus on business development and origination in IDA/FCS countries in Africa and develop and implement strategies for sub-sectors and priority areas such as climate mitigation;
- Developing client/ project leads; assist clients through the application process; structure initial deals, provide high-level client relationship management; working with MIGA underwriters as needed when a new application is received to facilitate the underwriting of a transaction and to ensure excellent client service; developing and maintaining partnerships with regional DFIs and other like-minded institutions involved in foreign investment in Africa;
- Developing and maintaining contacts with private sector investors, lenders and other institutions involved in the development and implementation of investment projects in Africa;
- Meeting with prospective clients to market MIGA’s guarantee products as well as with MIGA partners to better understand the market for PRI in priority areas and to identify new market opportunities for MIGA;
- Structuring complex transactions and assessing project risks;
- Coaching and mentoring junior underwriting staff, and other MIGA staff in the Africa hub;
- Assisting clients with filling- out MIGA applications and facilitating the relationship with MIGA;
- Representing MIGA at high-level conferences or other events where MIGA desires to market its services and products; overseeing sponsorship at such events where needed;
- Advising MIGA’s Management Team on African business development strategies as needed;
- Frequent travel is required to follow up on project opportunities that are likely to result in new business for MIGA.
- Master’s degree in international Business, Finance, Economics, or related field plus 12-15 years of directly relevant experience (such as political risk underwriting, project finance or private sector work in emerging markets);
- Extensive knowledge of emerging markets finance and economic development as well as an understanding of issues related to investment insurance and foreign direct investments in emerging markets;
- Sound financial analysis skills, including experience analyzing and structuring projects;
- Demonstrated high level technical underwriting skills, and proven track record in handling complex project risk underwriting and/or project and corporate finance;
- Demonstrated high-level understanding of political / sovereign risk guarantee products, and their application in the project and export finance banking fields;
- Strong client orientation, diplomatic skills, as well as sensitivity to social and cultural issues as they affect multilateral risk mitigation and investors going into developing countries;
- Demonstrated experience leading teams and a proven track record in delivering high quality work results;
- Strong interpersonal skills in managing and motivating people and teams;
- Experience in guiding, mentoring and coaching staff on technical and business issues;
- Experience in working across boundaries; and in joint project ventures with key multilateral and bilateral institutions;
- Outstanding communication skills; able to make persuasive oral and written presentations;
- Ability to make forward-looking and practical decisions with a bias towards a results and implementation culture, with a focus on the big picture and the overall strategic framework for development;
- High degree of discretion, ethics, tack, and sensitivity in handling confidential and sensitive information; ability to maintain high standard of personal integrity;
- Language requirements: English and French (required), Spanish, Portuguese (preferred).
Closing Date: 7/31/2021 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Pour postuler à ce poste veuillez visiter worldbankgroup.csod.com .