Contract Type: fixed term, 1 year
Location: Dakar, Senegal
Job Grade: National D1
Reporting to: Head of Programs
Job Ref No: 13860
WHO WE ARE
Oxfam is a global organization working to right the wrongs of poverty, hunger, and injustice. We work with people in more than 90 countries to create lasting solutions. Oxfam saves lives, develops long-term solutions to poverty, and campaigns for social change.
OXFAM has been active in Senegal for more than two decades. In recent years, our focus has been on supporting sustainable livelihoods, promoting good governance and ensuring sustainable human development in the face of crisis and human/natural disasters.
Oxfam livelihoods and policy staff participate and use results of our livelihoods program in Senegal to influence relevant actors at all levels, to enable smallholder farmers to be heard and have access to viable livelihoods.
To contribute to the Governance programme implementation in Senegal. Focus will be on promoting good governance of public finances, extractives resources, social accountability, citizenship and participation development and civil society empowerment
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Key responsibilities of the Advocacy and Governance Project Officer include:
Strategy and Planning
· Contribute to the formulation and implementation of Oxfam in Senegal strategy, under the leadership of the Head of Programs,
· Provide strategic directions on Oxfam strategic positioning and engagement in specific governance schemes; Specifically develop technical notes, based on country experiences to guide CO in their discussions around governance registries such as but not limited to governance of public finances, extractives resources, social accountability, citizenship and participation development and civil society empowerment, women and youth empowerment,
· Actively support country annual action planning/budgeting with staff and partners,
· Provide strategic feedback, comments to corporate documents and contribute to corporate processes – including writing and reviewing annual reports, evaluation reports, policy and other strategic documents,
· Ensure the highest degree of participation of the poorest, women, and youth in all phases of the country strategy, governance program and project cycle,
Influencing, Advocacy and Networking
· Support the Country office to engage in a broader policy dialogue on above topics,
· Engage with key ministries and other relevant stakeholders on policies reforms and legal and regulatory frameworks review, as determined by Governance Programme Manager,
· Leverage global or regional political advocacy to support national policy reform campaigns and from the national to the regional and global level,
· Network actively with key people and agencies working on governance issues, mainly public finances accountability and civil society empowerment, with members of Oxfam-International and more broadly with other INGOs, LNGO and mass organisations in Senegal
· Actively engage in discussions with partners and other stakeholders on fostering external funding opportunities and where needed support the development of programs with partners and others
· Facilitate the networking between Oxfam partners and relevant external actors like knowledge & research institutes and initiate and facilitate reports and any publications in this area.
· Provide technical support to the Governance Programme in registries such as but not limited to governance of public finances, extractives resources, social accountability, citizenship and participation development and civil society empowerment, women and youth empowerment,
· Provide technical and strategic guidance to Country Office in the formulation of strategies, resource mobilization and in the design and implementation of governance projects, programmes, campaigns and initiatives, including support to building a policy dialogue on governance with host government and their development partners,
· Directly manage the projects entrusted to him/her including budget, project partners, consultants and all administrative related matters,
· Closely coordinate with designated partners to seek for effective interfaces to stimulate local contributions, efficient methods of project implementation and alternative funding sources for the programme, to help ensure financial, technical sustainability and in order to encourage local ownership of the projects,
· Support the identification, development and management of the portfolio of designated local partners,
· Prepare grant applications for review and approval,
· Work closely with designated partners for quality in project development and grant management,
· Coordinate with other Programme staff to pilot specific models in designated project areas with a view to disseminate and/or institutionalise relevant methodologies in a larger scale;
· Ensure that projects reflect Oxfam principles of gender equity, participation, and partnership
· Facilitate knowledge exchange amongst partners and staff
· Support other on-going initiatives relevant to Governance led by other units within the Office
· Undertake technical assistance missions to support field level initiative.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
· Maintain direct contacts with designated partners for the monitoring, evaluation and development of partners’ programmes & their organizational capacities.
· Initiate and facilitate activities concerning knowledge & information management with designated local partners to strengthen the effectiveness and implementation of programmes and lessons learned.
· Conduct regular monitoring visits, write analytical progress reports including sections on follow up, and evaluation of grants, analyse projects and recommend appropriate actions as necessary
· Provide for the appraisal of project progress reports, ensure feedback to partner organizations & monitoring of agreements, and ensure registration in our administrative system
· Contribute to effective meetings in Oxfam which stimulates learning across teams. Co-operate and exchange learning with various staff in the home office and other country programmes on all issues of relevance
· Share information for ensuring high levels of transparency in management of the projects including financial transparency and high standards of accounting and financial reporting, to Oxfam, donors and local stakeholders;
· Contribute to the country office’s reports to the other levels of the confederation
Local Capacity Building
· Contribute in developing capacity of designated partners and provide coaching so that they can be effective in program delivery and lead local activities following predefined methodologies,
· Participate in Identifying human resource development and organisational development needs for local partners in implementing programmes. Seek training, consultants, exchange and other support opportunities to meet those needs and build capacity of partners, especially in support of the long-term management of development in the area;
• Other tasks as required and assigned by the supervisor or the senior management
Technical Skills, Experience & Knowledge
· University degree in a discipline relevant to the specific areas mentioned in relation to development cooperation, preferably in Economics/Law or Social Sciences
· At least 5 years’ demonstrable recent work experience with NGO’s and community-based organizations in Senegal and/or West Africa; on Governance, public policies issues
· Sound experience in programme management and negotiation, including participatory approaches, organizational analysis & partnership, networks, grant management & program development.
· Analytical thinking skills, abilities to influence others and to achieve results
· Excellent communication skills in French and English
· Good understanding and practical experience in application of equity issues (Gender and diversity)
· Strong understanding on sustainable development issues and rights-oriented approach
· Excellent social skills, team player; pro-active and willingness to learn.
· Excellent research skills, including desk and field research
· Able to travel to programme/project areas on a regular basis
· Knowledge and experience with civil society advocacy and campaigns strategy
· Good understanding of other different themes (Livelihood, DRR, CCA, humanitarian)
Equality and diversity
We are committed both to promoting equality and diversity within the organization and to Equal Opportunities in employment. We believe in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group, religion or belief, age, disability, sexual orientation, sex, gender re-assignment and gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy, maternity and paternity. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are made entirely on merit.
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY:
This opportunity is for a dedicated and highly motivated professional with strong commitment to Oxfam’s values and beliefs. If you believe you are qualified for this post and you are the candidate that we are looking for, please submit via jobvite: https://app.jobvite.com/CompanyJobs/Job.aspx?j=oORsdfw4
THE CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS IS October 15 th 2020.**
Given the urgent need for this position, suitable candidates can be shortlisted and interviewed before the closing date.
ONLY SHORLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED