A Humanitarian Advocacy Officer
Pays : France
Ville : Paris or Brussels
Date de prise du poste : 05/10/2020
Durée de la mission : 4 months
Date de clôture des candidatures : 06/09/2020
Référence de l’annonce : -JVO-07-20-5882
CONTEXTE DE TRAVAIL :
“Outraged by the injustice faced by people with disabilities and vulnerable populations,
we aspire to a world of solidarity and inclusion, enriched by our differences,
where everyone can live in dignity”
Handicap International is changing his name and becomes « Humanity & Inclusion ». HI, Humanity & Inclusion is an independent and impartial aid and development organisation with no religious or political affiliations operating in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
Since the organisation was first founded in 1982, we have set up development programmes in 62 countries and responded to many emergencies. Today we have a budget of around 150 million euros, with 3500 employees worldwide.
HI is engaged in an employment policy in favour of disabled workers.
For further information about the association:
Within HI Federation, the Advocacy & Institutional Relations (AIR) team, composed of 8 persons and attached to the Federal General Direction, is in charge of defining, implementing and coordinating the advocacy strategy. It implies liaising with policy makers, engaging with networks, participating in international conferences and events, raising awareness of the general public and the media in order to achieve policy change in Handicap International field of actions.
The advocacy team works in coordination with other stakeholders within HI network. The activities are implemented in close collaboration with missions and programs, and based on evidence collected on the field. National Associations and the Institute HI are also closely involved in designing the global strategy and conveying the messages towards their own interlocutors at national level.
AIR is recruiting a humanitarian advocacy officer for 4 months to support the implementation of the global humanitarian advocacy strategy on humanitarian access, follow up of the humanitarian advocacy strategy on the Syrian crisis, and follow up on COVID-19 advocacy opportunities depending on the evolution of the humanitarian needs.
DESCRIPTION DE POSTE :
Under the responsibility of Humanitarian Advocacy Manager, your main your main responsibilities are:
1- Support the humanitarian advocacy manager in leading the internal process to launch and implement HI’s advocacy strategy on Humanitarian Access, involving key stakeholders within the HI movement and ensuring their meaningful and relevant contribution to the implementation of the strategy through shared action plans
– Follow up the implementation of the global Humanitarian Access Advocacy Action plan especially through HI’s contributions to different policy processes that are ongoing
– Liaise with relevant stakeholders to ensure collection of evidence and appropriate dissemination internally
– Contribute to internal communication on humanitarian advocacy activities within the organization.
2 – Support the data Collection process from HI field operations to ensure our advocacy is grounded on solid, relevant and timely evidence
– Liaise with Geographic, Thematic and field staff in the Operations Direction to identify key issues and available data on humanitarian access and impediments
– Organize the planning, identify adequate tools and modalities for the production of evidence, ensure meaningful contribution from key internal and external stakeholders
– Establish shared dissemination strategy at national, regional and global levels, in line with expected policy change objectives
– When relevant, and in close collaboration with the Federal Communication department, contribute to dissemination to the general public, towards the medias and on social medias
In close collaboration with field advocacy staff, lead the joint work on advocacy strategies linked to HI’s response to the Syrian crisis, with a consistent approach on policy objectives at local and global levels
– Lead the internal coordination with the field advocacy staff to co-construct the advocacy strategy on the Syrian crisis
– Support the data collection process to ensure our advocacy is based on solid evidence
– Disseminate accordingly the different messages produced by the middle east team
3 – In close coordination with the Humanitarian advocacy manager, liaise with relevant NGO networks and coalitions in the humanitarian sector to contribute to and influence collective action towards improved humanitarian access especially in link with the impact of sanctions on humanitarian access
4 – Support HI’s involvement in different policy process
– Support HI’s participation and involvement in ”Conférence Nationale Humanitaire” organized by the French MoFA
– Identify key advocacy opportunities in link with the agenda on counter terrorism at the level of the UN and the EU
– Support HI’s influence on humanitarian access topics towards the German’s presidency of the EU
Follow up on the impacts of COVID-19 pandemic on the different humanitarian crisis
– In close coordination with the emergency direction, ensure monitoring of the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on Humanitarian crisis
– When relevant and needed, engage in advocacy activities to support HI’s humanitarian global humanitarian response to the pandemic
– Support reactive and collective advocacy strategies
PROFIL ATTENDU :
• With at least 3 years’ experience in the humanitarian sector on positions either on the field or at global level with a strong advocacy component, you have a demonstrated knowledge of the international humanitarian system, emergency contexts, International Humanitarian Law
• Good understanding of operational constraints attached to NGOs work in crisis contexts
• Proven ability to analyze complex political issues, identify impactful advocacy opportunities and innovative tools and tactics to achieve policy change.
• Excellent proficiency in spoken and written English at a professional level and a good command of French
• Knowledge of issues linked to humanitarian access, counter terrorism policies.
• Experience of working with geographically dispersed and culturally diverse teams.
• Understanding of the challenges involved in working with NGO networks and coalitions.
• Experience in global campaign engagement and coordination.
LANGUE(S) DE TRAVAIL :
SPECIFICITES/PARTICULARITES DU POSTE :
• Type of contract : 4 months contract starting from 5th of October 2020
• It could be based in : Paris, Brussels or London – contract conditions are dependent of the chosen localization
• Additional benefits: luncheon vouchers and health insurance