iMMAP recruits 01 Translator – French-to-English & English-to-French
iMMAP is an international nongovernmental organisation that provides information management services to humanitarian and development organizations. Through information management, we help our partners target assistance to the world’s most vulnerable populations. Our core philosophy is that better data leads to better decisions and that better decisions lead to better outcomes. iMMAP’s critical support to information value chains helps to solve operational and strategic challenges of our partners in both emergency and development contexts by enabling evidence-based decision-making for better outcomes.
In July 2020, iMMAP initiated the COVID-19 Situational Analysis project funded by the Bureau of Humanitarian Assistance (BHA) of USAID. The project provides a solution to the growing global need for information, assessment and analysis among humanitarian stakeholders.
A team of experienced personnel that includes project managers, information management officers, data analysts, thematic experts, and data visualization officers are working towards strengthening the information flow available to humanitarian actors to enable humanitarian organizations to better respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. In Bangladesh, Burkina Faso, Colombia, DRC, Nigeria and Syria, iMMAP and its main partner, Data Friendly Space (DFS), are using DFS’ Data Entry and Exploration Platform (DEEP) to develop tailored data analysis processes to support the humanitarian community https://immap.org/global-covid-19-situational-analysis-project/.
The project collates data generated by humanitarian actors and other stakeholders including academia, the private sector and government agencies. Using the deep platform, staff extract, quality control, process, and aggregate data from hundreds of different data sources which are coded using a specific?analysis framework. DEEP generates repositories of pre-organized secondary data for each country, addressing the challenges in data and information comprehensiveness, consistency and value. This data is then synthesized into monthly situational analysis reports for each of the six countries and provide an update on socio-economic, security, COVID-19 statistics and restrictions and ongoing conditions for all humanitarian sectors/ clusters. These reports are widely utilized and facilitate a better understanding of the humanitarian impact of COVID-19, and support partners in planning and targeting response operations amid the global crisis. Monthly situational analysis reports are produced in English for Syria, Bangladesh and Nigeria, in French for Burkina Faso and the DRC, and in Spanish for Colombia. Additional thematic reports and outputs in the coming months will be developed in English.
The project is now looking for a qualified translator with relevant humanitarian experience. The aim is to translate the Thematic reports and Situation Analysis reports from French to English, and/or English to French produced by iMMAP during the project, as well as the contribution in the compilation and editing of the necessary reports in accordance with our quality and design standards.
This position reports operationally to the Technical Advisor.
Description of Duties
- Organize the materials to be translated to ensure compliance with the scheduled delivery dates.
- Thoroughly read and understand the context of the materials received.
- Ensure that translated texts convey the original meaning, style and tone, and use the correct industry-specific terminology
- Ensure delivery of translations according to the established schedule.
- Proofreading translated texts to ensure there are no grammatical, spelling or punctuation errors.
- Participate in meetings to present the results in order to know the context of the documents to be translated.
- Minimum 2 year experience working as a translator with both French-to-English or English-to-French experience in the humanitarian sector
- Full professional proficiency in French and English
- Excellent proofreading skills with the ability to identify grammatical, spelling or punctuation errors.
- Knowledge of NGO functions and advocacy policies (desirable).
- Time management skills, ability to execute activities under pressure, meet deadlines, and address multiple requirements simultaneously.
- Ability to work based on objectives and compliance with standards through management indicators.
- Dedication, commitment and accountability in managing the role.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a propensity for collaborative and teamwork.
Personnel is expected to conduct itself in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and iMMAP’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all Countries.
iMMAP has zero-tolerance for sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, human trafficking, child abuse and exploitation. Any violations of these principles and policies will be treated as serious misconduct.
iMMAP is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background.