Created in 1979, Action contre la Faim is a non-governmental organization that fights against hunger. Its charter of humanitarian principals- independence, neutrality, non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, professionalism, transparency – has been part of its identity for more than 40 years. Its mission is to save lives by eliminating hunger through the prevention, detection and treatment of under-nutrition, particularly during and after emergency situations linked to conflicts or natural disasters. Action contre la Faim focuses its actions on 5 main areas of expertise: Nutrition and Health – Mental Health and Care Practices – Food Security and Livelihoods – Water, Sanitation and Hygiene – Advocacy . In 2017, Action contre la Faim provided aid to 20 million people in more than 46 countries worldwide. www.actioncontrelafaim.org
We are looking for: A HUMANITARIAN ACCESS COORDINATOR – YEMEN
Presentation of the mission:
Action Against Hunger has been operating in Yemen since 2012, upscaling its emergency activities in 2016 due to the conflict between Al Houthi and the Saudi-led coalition. Yemen is currently facing one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises, with 80% of the population in need of humanitarian aid. Action Against Hunger has responded to multiple large-scale and interconnected emergencies: conflict, famine and a cholera epidemic, using a multisectoral approach (Nutrition & Health, Food Security, WASH and Mental Health programming) and by piloting the country’s first Rapid Response Mechanism alongside UNICEF. Donors supporting these programs are the EU through ECHO and DEVCO, UN agencies (UNICEF, WFP, UNOCHA, UNFPA), GAC, DFID, SIDA and private foundations. Focus is now on providing life-saving quality health and nutrition services, addressing the causes of hunger and undernutrition and promoting evidence-based programming through surveillance, analysis, and advocacy.
Security, working and living conditions:
Due to the major crisis and frequently changing security context in Yemen, security rules are regularly updated.
Presentation of the bases:
ACF is operationally working in 2 bases: Hodeida and Aden, with its coordination team located in Sana’a. In total, the Yemen mission counts 269 national staff and 24 international staff.
The needs in the country are very high and the context is challenging.
In Yemen, the security situation is volatile: active frontlines in Hodeidah and Hajjah Governorates; articulated political situation in Aden and a social and economical degradation in the whole country. Besides that, although ACF can guarantee a comfortable accommodation, it is still a very a high risk, deep field situation with highest level of security at all times. Working conditions will be dynamic and demanding.
Guesthouse in Aden is comfortable will a full equiped gym, and leisure area with TV, table tennis, badminton and pool table. Social gatherings with other organizations are organized on regular basis.
As Humanitarian Access Coordinator, you ensure the safety of ACF in Yemen and provide an enabling security environment to allow ACF teams to be at the cutting edge of operational implementation in Yemen
More precisely you:
- Define and implement ACF security management system
- Design ACF humanitarian access strategy
- Train and make ACF staff aware of security environment, procedures and rules
- Management of the security team
Do you fit with the position?
- You have an expertise in current safety and security practices and issues affecting aid work globally, and at least one work experience in insecure/hostile environments in an INGO. You have experience and knowledge of personnel and organizational security issues, threat/risk assessment, security management and security awareness in an insecure environment.
- You have demonstrated ability to work within a multi-cultural, multi ethnic team and have comprehensive knowledge of the context and challenges of operating in Yemen.
- You are able to adapt to needs and balance demands of beneficiary and security actors while maintaining appropriate contextual NGO security advice and coordination.
- You have experience of incident reporting, incident mapping, compilation of security reports and assessments.
- Facilitation skills to train and coach national and international staff.
- You are self-motivated with the ability to work autonomously in a highly stressful and challenging environment.
- Proven skills in concise and succinct report writing.
- You have competency in Internet and Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and excellent written and spoken English./ Arabic would be an asset.
- You are committed to the aims and principles of ACF and code of conduct. In particular, a good understanding of the ACF mandate and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin all aspects of the job.
Contract : 6 months fixed term contract under French legislation starting on the 1 st of June 2020
Remuneration and benefits :
- Monthly gross salary from 2450 to 2800 € upon experience C3
- Per diem and living allowance : 616€ (cf eurocost) net, field paid.
- + 450€ as country allowance
- + 16% of monthly gross . For non-French citizen for retrocession of retirement and unemployment insurance.
- + child allowance
Medical coverage : 100% coverage of medical expenses + repatriation insurance.
Leaves and RnR :
- 25 days of paid leaves per year.
- + 20 RnR per year.
- + 215 € at each RnR period every 6 weeks
- Support for transport tickets to the reference recovery area . (United Arab Emirates).
- 2/3 days training on finance tools before departure
- Free and unlimited access to the certifying e-learning platform Crossknowledge ©.
- Technical trainings at HQ or regional level (averagely 1 per year).
- HEAT training
- Participation to external trainings costs upon eligibility of the request
Why joining ACF:
We expect the candidate to be a team player, be flexible and autonomous. He or she will support his / her staffs, request for support and raise concerns to the Senior Management Team and HQ in a timely fashion to ensure smooth implementation of program activities, the donor requirements and the rights, safety and protection of both ACF staffs and beneficiaries.
How to apply
To apply, please visit our website: https://recrutement.actioncontrelafaim.org/index.php/fr/offre/4701