GENDER EQUALITY IN EDUCATION SPECIALIST
Save the Children is seeking a Gender Equality in Education Specialist. The Gender Equality in Education Specialist will be responsible to ensure that all aspects of the program management and design and implementation promote gender equality. S/he will train project staff on gender awareness, share guidance with partners review all teaching and learning materials developed from a gender equality and transformation perspective for coordinating activities that promote gender and community participation, networking with government and other organizations and providing technical assistance to project staff. The Gender Specialist will build capacity of local organizations and community counterparts, through training and technical support. This position will provide both managerial and technical support to the project, and attend to program-related issues and activities to promote gender sensitivity and participation. The Gender Specialist will work closely with the Technical Advisors within the project.
NB: This position is contingent upon donor approval and funding.
What You’ll Be Doing (Essential Duties)
- Provide technical, programmatic, operational, and managerial oversight to the assigned gender activities
- Train and support all project staff to be gender aware and gender transformative
- Support MoE and project colleagues to ensure that any training for MoE or community address gender inequalities, and equip participants with skills to challenge them
- Support MoE and project colleagues to provide reflective and participatory teacher training to teachers, so they understand and have the skills to promote gender equality in the classroom, in the school, and in the wider context.
- Work with publishing partners to apply gender aware and transformative lens to all teaching and learning materials produced under the project
- Contribute to project M&E and reporting to ensure that gender is taken account of in all areas.
- Apply technical skills and participate in technical working groups to promote gender equality
- Contribute to project leadership and management as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in Gender studies, International Development, Community Development or Education or related field is required
- Minimum of five years’ relevant experience working on the promotion of gender equality
- Familiarity with the evidence base and best practice in gender sensitive and gender transformative programming, as well as social and gender norms
Proven ability in promoting and collaborating with multi-level stakeholders
- Proven ability as a facilitator for gender and sector-related activities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in French
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
- Knowledge of local Senegalese languages
- Familiarity with the political, social, and cultural context of Senegal
- A Master’s degree in a related topic
- Experience applying social behaviour change approaches
- Experience working on gender equality in the education context, particularly in teacher training
- Experience working on gender equality in publishing/the development of teaching and learning materials
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date Curriculum Vitae as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as contrary to the values and practices of our organization.
orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Save the Children complies with all applicable laws.