Handicap International recruits 01 Field MEAL Specialist – HELASIA Project
“Outraged by the injustice experienced by people with disabilities and vulnerable populations, we aspire to a world of solidarity and inclusion, where all differences enrich us and where everyone can live upright.”
Handicap International is an independent and impartial international solidarity organization, which intervenes in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflicts and disasters. Working alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable populations, it acts and speaks out to meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
HI is committed to an employment policy in favour of disabled workers.
The HELASIA Project : Health, Education and Livelihoods in Africa : a Sustainable Inclusion Approach.
The project is focused on generating conclusive experience and change in the participation of people with disabilities by demonstrating the interaction and interdependence between advocacy for people with disabilities’ rights and practical efforts in supporting them obtain access to quality, inclusive services. To achieve this, in consultation with its national and regional OPD partners, the project focuses on five different sub-Saharan African countries, each with its own challenges and particularities, to define access to service interventions in health, education, and livelihoods – with the balance between each sector the reflection of the specific priorities identified in each country. The experiences gained will thence form the basis for a rigorous learning development and exchange between the countries, both to reinforce country-level practices, as well as to provide practical evidence to advocate for change at the Africa regional level.
Under the management of the HELASIA Chief of Party, you, as the HELASIA MEAL Specialist, will lead in ensuring the quality of HI’s work by implementing monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning processes throughout the project cycle across all HI HELASIA project countries (Benin, Ethiopia, Rwanda, Mozambique and Madagascar).
You will guarantee that these processes are undertaken in a way that is consistent with global HI standards and policies and other relevant international standards on quality programme delivery.
You will provide overall direction to the management of a robust, sustainable and effective MEAL system across all HELASIA Project intervention sectors. Analysis on these changes will be shared extensively to all HI staff, partners and stakeholders to facilitate action.
In this framework, your main duties are:
- Strategy and system design :
- You define and oversee the definition of MEAL and IM action plans at the regional project level and support their implementation in your area
- You lead the design and definition of HELASIA project MEAL strategy and related frameworks, tools and guidelines.
- You build strong partnerships with HI operations, technical staff and MEAL country teams, partners, stakeholders and communities to ensure that the MEAL system is shared, understood and supported.
- You ensure the implementation of regional monitoring systems, data collection, information management, evaluation, accountability and knowledge management for HELASIA project adapted to the context and allowing compliance with HI standards.
- You forward to the HELASIA Project manager any information or difficulty that may contribute to the improvement of Regional MEAL HELASIA project systems.
- You contribute to the performance management of the MEAL country teams.
- Team Coordination :
- You foster a team spirit and teamwork to develop the necessary synergies between the Programme’s different services. You encourage the exchange of practices within and between services;
- You establish good communication, coordination and information sharing within the MEAL HELASIA team members through regular team meetings.
- You provide training, coaching and mentoring to HELASIA MEAL team members and you are proactive regarding internal or external training opportunities.
- You provide MEAL technical direction and leadership for HELASIA project activities
- You embody and transmit HI’s values, ensure respect of its code of conduct and institutional policies and is vigilant with regard to expected attitudes and individual and collective behaviours.
- You provide support and coaching to accountability focal points and fosters exchange on the topic and practices lived.
- Expertise :
- You are responsible for supporting the country project managers in implementing the project management systems (frameworks and tools) in line with existing institutional frameworks and in line with the regional project.
- You support the country project managers in implementing the minimum project management processes described in the PME (Planning, Monitoring & Evaluation) policy and guidelines and in line with the regional project.
- You are responsible for setting up systems for monitoring results and complying with methodological standards for conducting surveys
- You are responsible for setting up the data and information management systems defined at HELASIA project
- You are responsible for compliance with HI standards in terms of project evaluation
- You are responsible for the implementation of the accountability mechanisms, defined by the HELASIA Chief of Party
- You contribute to learning and continuous improvement of HI’s interventions
- You share the knowledge produced internally to the program and more broadly at the organizational level through the use of HI Library.
- Operational implementation :
- You conduct or coordinate project quality evaluations and audits in accordance with the priorities defined by the operational and technical teams
- You contribute to the external representation and promotion of HI’s expertise.
- Respect of HI identity, rules and policies :
- You know, understand, apply and respect HI code of conduct and ethics, HI mandate and values, HI rules and operating procedure, HI policies (child protection policy, policy and mechanism for the prevention of and fight against bribery, the protection of beneficiaries from sexual exploitation and abuse policy);
- You support country teams and MEAL teams in the application of HI’s Disability, Gender and Age policy and the trickling down
- You know, understand, apply and respect HI security rules
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE POSITION:
Rwanda: Rwanda’s reputation for security is very good. The safest city in Africa has a truly remarkable level of security that allows you to travel freely at any time of the day or night. Pickpocketing can happen, but it is rare. You will see a strong police presence in the street. And highest security risk is that of traffic accidents. Covid-19 is present in Rwanda, but is met with strong and strict measures that have to be respected at all times. But it has proven to have positive effects on the spread of Covid-19.
Ethiopia: The Security situation in Ethiopia is not good, which is the reasons why the position is currently based in Kigali, but when the security situation improves, the position will move again to Addis Ababa. On November 2nd, the government has issues a six-month state of emergency, which has impacts on travel in and to Ethiopia. Sanitary measures are in place in Ethiopia for prevention of Covid-19, these are to be respected at all times.
Expériences / Formation
- You hold a Master degree in humanitarian aid and/or development and/or international project management, or in any other similar and relevant area (international studies, etc.)
- You have a minimum of 3 years’ experience of coordinating aid
- You have extensive experience of implementing information management & MEAL systems for end users, and the technical knowledge in the development of such systems.
- You have extensive experience on project cycle management, research, data gathering and management, quantitative/qualitative analysis, outcome harvesting and reporting.
- You have experience in developing capacities of staff and partners to undertake monitoring, evaluation and learning activities.
- You are fluent in English and French.
- You are able to work in a tensed and volatile context with strict security measures
At HI, the conditions offered are up to your commitment and adapted to the context of your mission. https://hi.org/en/join-the-team
- 9,5 months International contract starting from mid-March 2022
- Position based in Kigali until July- August 2022 and then Addis Ababa (if security context allows) with visits in Rwanda, Benin, Madagascar and Mozambique.
The international contract provides social cover adapted to your situation:
- Unemployment insurance benefits for EU nationals
- Pension scheme adapted to the situation of our employees: If you already have a personal pension scheme HI will contribute at the same level of your personal monthly contribution with a maximum of 53€/month ; If you do not have a personal pension scheme, we will open a private pension account with your contribution of 272.53€/month and a contribution of HI of the same amount
- Medical coverage with 50% of employee contribution
- Repatriation insurance paid by HI
- Salary from 2757 € gross/month upon experience
- Perdiem: 446 € net/month – paid in the field
- Paid leaves: 25 days per year;
- R&R: according to the level of the mission Level 1: 1 day per month
open to couples
- Support travel costs (air ticket & visa) for accompanying dependent and health/ repatriation insurance if the dependent has no income/
- Housing : Collective / individual taken in charge by HI
If you are resident in the country: local package
Only online by joining a CV and cover letter via the following link:
Applications will be processed on an ongoing basis, don’t wait for applying!
Only successful candidates will be contacted.