Recently accredited to the Green Climate Fund (GCF) Save the Children are setting up an expanded support structure to steer the development of new project designs for the GCF. The role of the Senior Advisor – Climate Change is to provide technical assistance to the development of Save the Children’s African GCF portfolio.
The role will provide high quality technical assistance to the development of Project Ideas, Concept Notes and full Proposals. Integrated into project development teams in multiple countries the Senior Advisor – Climate Change will ensure climate change is appropriately considered and integrated into all aspect of the design process. This will include the identification and supervision of specialist climate change consulting services into overall program design processes.
This position will work with key stakeholders across the Save the Children global confederation, government counterparts and international organisations to ensure the development of a high-quality projects and programs that support national priorities and complement exiting and pipeline national climate change investments.
Through this role Save the Children aim to support a step up in community-based climate change programming in Africa, principally in adaptation. By doing this we aim to make children safer and more able to adapt to the impacts of climate change in their communities as a cornerstone of their ability to fulfil their rights.
* Tertiary qualification/s in Climate Change and International Development or relevant and/or related disciplines.
Experience And Skills
- Significant direct experience of designing climate change programs for an international organisation in Africa, preferably in a managerial role and preferably focused on adaptation at the community level.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to synthesise and process information on development and climate change issues.
- Demonstrated strategic planning skills and strong time management, administrative and organisational skills.
- Excellent representational, advocacy and diplomatic skills to enable the post holder to operate effectively within Save the Children and externally.
- Highly developed communication skills, written and verbal, and the ability to present information clearly and effectively to a wide range of internal and external audiences, including highly developed report writing skills.
- Proven track record for the successful development and implementation of climate change programs in development contexts.
- Experience of integrating climate change into ongoing developmental programs, strategies and policies.
- Experience of successful developing relationships with donors and technical partners.
- Proven ability to work in remote teams, across cultures, and independently.
- Experience of developing concept notes and proposals for the Green Climate Fund.
- Experience of child-centred approaches to climate change.
- Knowledge of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child and the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change.
- Experience in working with a right based approach
- Experience of developing and implementing climate change advocacy strategies.
- Working knowledge of French and / or Portuguese.
Contract length : 02 years
Work location: Dakar, Nairobi or London. Open to negotiation in similar time zones
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as contrary to the values and practices of our organization.