SVP of Commercial Product Management
Job ID: 4200
In this role, you will work in an unconstrained fashion to define the strategic vision for ZephyrTel to be the leader in public-cloud software solutions for the Telco industry. You will be responsible for working directly with customers to communicate transformative investments in a thought-provoking manner and execute the commercial strategy which creates growth for the company and value for the customer. You will work directly with the CEO and in a highly acquisitive environment that presents a continuous stream of exciting new challenges and products.
The ideal candidate is someone that has held a senior Product Management role in a solution/software provider to the telecommunications space and has been frustrated by the “whatever the customer wants” approach to building scalable and repeatable product-based solutions. This individual will revolutionize the traditional on-premise, consulting approach to telco products with the power of standard cloud-based solutions. Domain experience in Telco, core networking, OSS/BSS stacks are required as is a commitment to usher in a wave of change for an industry that has been slow to adopt new approaches. A minimum of 5-10 years of experience in B2B Product Management, cloud software development and experience with AWS is required.
What you will be doing:
• Defining compelling cloud-based visions for our products
• Engaging sales and customers to educate them on our approach and sell the value of our solutions to them.
• Collaborating with technical product managers to define the industry specific features which are required to address the market requirements in a standard product offering
• Identifying business value by working with our sales, pre-sales teams and crafting innovative commercial proposals for customers.
What you will NOT be doing:
• Directly managing engineering teams
• Manage long product feature and defect backlogs
• Surveying customers on the top features they would like in the product
• Project managing delivery teams
Your primary responsibilities will include building and communicating a killer 5-10 year Vision for ZephyrTel’s cloud-native software stack, developing clear product roadmaps for each ZephyrTel solution and working with Engineering and Operations to deliver market-leading products that create great customers experiences and revolutionize the TCO and business agility available to Telco customers.
In our environment, you must:
• Convince customers that radical product change is necessary and will provide massive benefits for them compared to the status quo.
• Create a company/product vision that excites the customer and is based on market research and business value
Look beyond the near-term and take a 5-10 year horizon of what will create a truly great company and product.
• Understand that quarterly roadmap deliverables and legacy customer commitments must be changed and broken to achieve great success.
• Replace broken commitments with a killer 5-year vision, so customers believe the changes are hugely positive
Engage C-level execs and convince them that the cloud can provide massive benefits for them.
• Build and lead a team of other Product Managers who can create great visions and reset customer expectations.
In this role, you must not:
• Believe your job is to turn a customer’s wish list into their product roadmap.
• Believe your job is basing a product decision solely on the needs of large customers requesting specific features to drive a particular deal.
• Believe your job is project managing engineering and tracking feature/bug commitments.
• Make technical decisions.
• 5-10 years in B2B Product Management for software and/or cloud products
• Product Management experience at a company which builds solutions (core networking, OSS/BSS, etc.) for communication service providers
• 3+ years of experience migrating software solution to AWS Public Cloud – prior implementations and a deep understanding of public Cloud.
• Experience in creating Product Vision and Roadmaps and building an execution plan.
Nice to have: