|UNDP recruits 01 Sahel Programme Manager|
|Localisation||Dakar / Sénégal|
|Expiration||26 Fevrier 2021|
Description de l’offre
Sahel Programme Manager
Practice Area – Job Family Management
Vacancy End Date
(Midnight New York, USA)
Duty Station Dakar, Senegal
Education & Work Experience
I-Master’s Level Degree – 7 year(s) experience
Vacancy Type FTA International
2 Year with possibility for extension
In 2012 the UN Security Council adopted Resolution 2056 that requested the Secretary-General to develop and implement, in consultation with regional organizations, a United Nations integrated strategy for the Sahel (UNISS) region encompassing security, governance, development, human rights and humanitarian issues.
Pursuant to the resolution, UNISS was developed and launched in 2013 with the aim of reducing the socio-economic vulnerability of the populations in the Sahel region.
In 2017, following an internal review of UNISS, a recalibration of the strategy by the Regional United Nations Sustainable Development Group (R-UNSDG) with UNOWAS resulted in the elaboration of a United Nations Sahel Support Plan (UNSP) to better align UN’s collective support to address the needs and priorities of the people and Governments in the region.
The UN Support Plan (UNSP), which covers the period 2018-2030, serves as a vehicle for articulating and operationalizing the commitments of the UN system and partners in the region.
It builds on the progress achieved by UNISS to date, while re-aligning its focus with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the African Union’s Agenda 2063 and the core priorities of national and regional partners; especially in the areas of peace, security and development in the region.
Through the UNSP, the UN commits to strengthen national and regional initiatives and to provide a platform through which the UN’s extensive regional expertise and capacities can be leveraged to deliver on the Secretary General’s vision for the Sahel.
The Support Plan also represents a commitment to a new way of working in the region through better integration of its political, security, humanitarian and development efforts; stronger focus on inter-agency programming; pooling of technical resources in the region for scaling up UN’s support for the Sahel; and prioritizing cross border cooperation to address issues that transcend national boundaries.
To contribute towards the effective implementation of the UNSP priorities, UNDP Africa Bureau in its capacity as the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) connector and leader of the United Nations Development System (UNDS) in the Sahel region, has recently launched the ‘UNDP Enhanced Offer for Regeneration in the Sahel.
The Enhanced Offer for the Sahel has four overarching and integrated components: prevention, stabilization, transformation and sustainability.
While the development context of each locality will determine the entry point, each offer includes a combination of the four components which respond to the evolving and dynamic socio-economic, political and security landscapes.
The offer outlines UNDP’s contribution to regenerate the Sahel and change the narrative from one of crises to hope.
And it is both set within the background of the complex geopolitics of the Sahel region as well as framed within the context of Humanitarian-Development Nexus with links to resilience and peace consolidation.
The West and Central Africa Sub Regional UNDP Hub (Dakar Hub) provides the overall leadership and oversight in the Sahel region for the implementation of the Enhanced Offer.
And this is done through a multifaceted Sahel Programme. Thus, the Programme Manager, of the Sahel Joint Programmes is responsible for operationalising the Enhanced Offer through the design and implementation of wide range of project initiatives aligned to the overarching vision of UNDP Africa Bureau for the Sahel.
This includes the management of the two strategic border lands pilot programmes for the Liptako Gourma Region (border area of Burkina, Mali and Niger):
(i) UN Joint Programme in the Central Sahel crisis epicentre involving 10 agencies, funds and programmes
(ii) Trade for Peace in Africa’s Borderlands in the Sahel. These initiatives will be implemented using the programme delivery and management structures of UNDP’s Country Offices, its Regional Centre, and Sub Regional Platform for West & Central Africa and its Regional Bureau for Africa.
In addition, the Programme manager also provides coordination leadership support to the Hub Manager in the performance of his overall strategic oversight role for the effective implementation UNDP Africa Bureau Enhanced Offer for the Sahel.
The Programme Manager, Sahel Joint Programmes, will function under the supervision of the Regional Hub Manager.
He/she will be responsible for the planning, management, implementation oversight, and delivery of results for the two integrated pilot initiatives.
The programme manager will also provide day to day managerial leadership to the implementation of Sahel Programme as well as provide strong coordination support to different units of the WACA Dakar Hub as well as HQ/NY, Regional Service Center and the Africa Borderlands Center in Nairobi; in order to foster synergies and alignments of activities collectively implemented towards the achievement of the overall outcomes of the UNDP Africa Bureau Enhanced Offer for the Sahel.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions
• Ensure implementation of regional component.
• Ensure effective implementation of all activities and quick and efficient response to challenges.
• Provide policy, strategic and technical guidance for programmes implementation.
• Provide guidance on programme planning and implementation.
• Monitor and analyze the project environment and progress, using applicable monitoring and evaluation and risk management tools and advise on timely adjustments and corrective measures as necessary.
• Develop a project management, performance and monitoring system.
• Conduct Financial and Enterprise risk management (e.g. ATLAS) data analysis for fiduciary management.
• Lead the project Implementation team
Policy advice, strategic technical guidance and managerial leadership
• Provide advice and technical guidance on implementation and delivery of all Sahel project portfolio under management of the Sahel unit.
• Assess program impact and oversee the appropriateness and accuracy of methods used to verify progress and results.
• Advise Regional Hub Manager and implementing partners including national government officials on the direction, strategies and technical issues associated with programme implementation requiring urgent attention.
Implementation of Support to Country Offices
• Provide coordination leadership to ensure that overall actions regarding the needs of the projects are taken in a timely manner.
• Provide direction and guidance to project team(s)/responsible parties.
• Liaise with the project board / project assurance to assure the overall direction and integrity of the project and Organizes meetings of the Project Assurance and the Project Board.
• Monitor the timely response of the several Country Offices and follow up when delays are detected.
• Responsible for horizontal sharing of good practices between the COs to increase the efficient implementation of the project.
• Advises the Country Offices on the application of the rules and regulations for the implementation of the project.
• Advises the Country Offices on procurement issues ensuring transparency, accuracy and cost-effectiveness. Actively supports knowledge building, sharing and applying in the project.
• Responsible for the full compliance of all portfolio of projects with UN/UNDP rules and regulations and policies on financial activities, financial recording/reporting system and follow-up on audit recommendations.
• Responsible for donor reporting and any other reporting.
• Ensures that all monthly, quarterly reports from the entire COs are consolidated.
• Responsible for financial management of project
• Submits monthly financial reports to the board.
Knowledge Management and Communication:
• Lead and facilitate production of knowledge products in the relevant subject matters;
• Coordinate design and implementation of communication strategies of the Sahel offer in align with UNDP tools and policies;
• Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to the Sahel offer;
• Ensure that this knowledge is documented and systematized and fed back into project implementation including by contributing to networks both within UNDP and beyond;
• Promote knowledge and experience exchange with regional entities implementing incentives Programmes based on global standards and with institutions participating in the Sahel offer for Public institutions;
• Disseminate project reports and respond to queries from concerned stakeholders; and sharing of experiences and lessons learned with relevant projects.
Partnerships and Resource Mobilization:
• In the context of UNDP as the SDG integrator role, support the development of strategic partnership and alliances with other UN Agencies, regional partners, academic and CSO’s organizations at HQ level;
• Contribute to the negotiations in establishing such partnerships, drafting of material to support mobilizing, fostering and strengthening strategic partnerships with regional partners and donors.
• Ensure close co-operation with other UNDP teams in the Dakar Hub, Regional Service Center and Africa Borderlands Center; develop alliances and working partnerships (thematic, advocacy, regional resource facilities, etc.) in support of the implementation of the Sahel portfolio of projects as well as the UNDP’s Enhanced Sahel offer implementation;
• Strengthen and maintain relationships with UNDP’s partners including donors, regional partners (AU, RECs, CSOs) UN Sister Agencies, especially key partners at HQ level as it pertains to the implementation of the UNDP Sahel offer overall.
• Represent the Hub Management as well as participate in relevant meetings (local and international) including the specific regional meetings on the Sahel as per guidance of the Regional Hub Management.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall managerial and programmatic leadership for the successful implementation of the overall portfolio of Sahel projects as well as the UNDP offer for the Sahel.
Demonstrates effective results and visibility of successful programmes implementation.
Provide accurate analysis and presentation of information to enhance UNDP position as a strong development partner in the Sahel region to the satisfaction of HQ, clients, stakeholders, partners and donors.
• Ability to make new and useful ideas work Level 5: Creates new and relevant ideas and leads others to implement them
• Ability to persuade others to follow Level 5: Plans and acts transparently, actively works to remove barriers
• Ability to improve performance and satisfaction Level 5: Models high professional standards and motivates excellence in others
• Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform Level 5: Gains trust of peers, partners, clients by presenting complex concepts in practical terms to others
• Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement Level 5: Critically assesses value and relevance of existing policy / practice and contributes to enhanced delivery of products, services, and innovative solutions
• Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
• Exerts strict adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures. Familiarity with the internal control framework and results-based management tools is a must.
• Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
• Good knowledge of the West Africa region, including the political, economic and social dimensions, and their relation to the main engines of instability and conflict.
• Sound knowledge and exposure to a wide range of post-conflict, peacebuilding, good governance, human rights and development-related issues as well as Disaster Risk Reduction and Management.
• Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting.
• Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
• Ability to advocate and provide timely policy advice.
• Ability to identify issues and to use sound judgment in applying technical expertise to resolve a wide range of problems.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
• Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results-Based Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of programme, managing data, reporting.
• good knowledge of institutional mandates, policies and guidelines pertaining to small arms conventions, recovery and development issues, peace and security and sound knowledge of the institutions of the UN system.
• Ability to establish and maintain contacts with senior-level officials of the host government required. Excellent interpersonal skills are essential part of the job. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, for effective advocacy and influence on policy makers.
• Ability to analyze is required to obtain, evaluate and interpret factual data and to prepare accurate and complete reports and other documents.
• Solid knowledge and experience in programme management and financial resources management.
Leadership and Self-Management
• Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to draft/edit a variety of written reports and communications and to articulate ideas in a clear and concise style.
• Ability to plan own work, manage conflicting priorities and work under pressure of tight and conflicting deadlines.
• Fully proficient computer skills and use of relevant software and other applications
• Very good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations.
• Very strong leadership capacities to guide a multi-cultural team in difficult circumstances.
• Required Skills and Experience
• Advanced University Degree (Master’s degree) in Development Studies, Natural Resources Management, Political Science, International Relations, Social Science, Law or related field.
• A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in developing and implementing programmes and projects dealing with one or another aspect of sustainable development;
• Proven record of partnerships, interagency coordination work on related sustainable development issues, required;
• Strong abilities in strategic planning and analysis;
• Proven experience in designing and/or implementing multi stakeholder, inter agency cross border joint programming with humanitarian-development nexus focus, is an asset;
• United Nations experience including field experience, is an asset.
• Proficiency in written and oral English language is required
• Working knowledge of the French language is desirable.
Important information for US Permanent Residents (‘Green Card’ holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement.
We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process.
Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it.
Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced.
Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
COMMENT POSTULER ?
Apply online :