Krousar Thmey is the first Cambodian organization helping disadvantaged children, founded in 1991 in the Site II refugee camp in Thailand.
Krousar Thmey offers a portfolio of cross-cutting programs and projects supporting over 2,500 children in their development: child welfare, special and inclusive education for deaf or blind children, cultural and artistic development, academic and career counseling, as well as health and hygiene.
In the spirit of sustainable action, Krousar Thmey ensures that its support does not lead to any privilege, dependence or disparity in the community.
Apolitical and secular, the action of Krousar Thmey has been acknowledged internationally for its impact, capacity for innovation and sustainability.
Krousar Thmey’s main principle is the development of projects led by Cambodians for Cambodians. Only four European volunteers provide the organization with support in communication, donor relations, project coordination and internal control.
The mission of the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Coordinator will be to provide technical and methodological support for the development and implementation of Krousar Thmey’s M&E system, to ensure its quality, thus allowing us to create sustainable change.
The M&E Coordinator should bring significant experience and fresh ideas to improve the data collection processes, ensure the quality and relevance of M&E activities across projects and programs, conduct analysis, and provide recommendations to enhance Krousar Thmey’s M&E system.
They will ensure that M&E procedures are compliant with donors’ requirements and contribute to achieving the projects and programs’ objectives.
They will work in close collaboration with the M&E Officer, as well as the Program Managers, the Project Officers, and the Communication Officer. They will be under the direct supervision of the Executive Director.
Key roles and responsibilities
Technical support and system development
- Identify Krousar Thmey’s needs in terms of M&E and propose improvements based on best practices, donors’ requirements, and evaluations.
- Support the improvement of data collection, monitoring methods and databases, while ensuring they operate in line with Krousar Thmey’s values, mission and strategic objectives.
- Contribute to the creation or adaptation of easy-to-use tools and procedures for an effective M&E system measuring the impact of activities, and directly support teams to implement them.
- Work closely with teams to ensure that M&E becomes an integral element of project design, planning and implementation, leading to improved quality, accountability, management and impact.
- Provide technical and methodological support to Program teams for the implementation of M&E activities (surveys, data collection and management, interpretation of data etc.), and data analyses to identify areas of progress and improvement.
- Conduct field visits to ensure data validation and consistency across structures and projects.
Reporting, communication and research
- Contribute to internal reporting, as well as external reporting to donors and other stakeholders, compile quantitative and qualitative data, and ensure quality reports are submitted.
- Contribute to external communication on M&E aspects, including the annual report, in collaboration with Communication Officer.
- Draw on their area of expertise to support teams for the development of proposals.
- Suggest and provide support for potential research, assessments and evaluations
Capacity building and training
- Coach, train and mentor the M&E Officer in order to increase her technical capability and skills, while ensuring that she takes ownership of the system and methods.
- In coordination with the Executive Director, evaluate the capacity building needs of the main office team in terms of M&E and propose a training plan.
- In coordination with Program Managers, assess the needs and capacity of teams to deliver on M&E objectives at program/project levels, and build their capacity to deliver, through coaching and mentoring on methodologies, tools and
Knowledge management, learning and accountability
- Ensure knowledge transfer and dissemination of good practices and lessons learned to teams.
- Support teams in extracting critical lessons learned, documenting good practices, as well as identifying and highlighting achievements of objectives and outcomes.
- Propose ways to disseminate M&E learnings internally and externally.
- Ensure external accountability to donors through the implementation of timely and high quality M&E activities, leading to accurate reporting.
- Ensure M&E system is implemented as planned and adapted as needed following lessons learned or changes in context.
- Ensure that Krousar Thmey is represented at relevant inter-NGO, networks, and government level meetings related to M&E to enhance best practices sharing and learning.
- Provide regular and timely updates on progress and challenges to relevant team members.
- Perform other related tasks, as assigned by the Executive Director.
Expériences / Formation
- At least 3 years’ work experience in a relevant position, in the development or NGO sectors, including some experience abroad
- A Master’s degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, Development Studies or other relevant field
- Significant experience designing and implementing M&E frameworks and systems
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of different qualitative and quantitative tools and methods, including development methodology (logical frameworks, performance indicators etc.)
- Proven capabilities in mentoring, training and facilitation, with a will to build and grow team members’ capacities
- Advanced command of Excel, especially its analytical functions, and knowledge of data analysis software
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with an ability to work well in a multicultural team, with people from diverse backgrounds
- Autonomous and proactive, with a sense of initiative, adaptability and flexibility
- Detailed and results oriented, with an ability to analyze and think strategically
- Excellent command of written and spoken French and English
- Knowledge and experience working with international donors would be an asset
- A previous experience in South-East Asia would be an asset
- Experience in the fields of social work and/or child protection would be an asset
- The volunteer must adhere to Krousar Thmey’s values and mission
- Status : Volontariat de solidarité internationale (VSI)
- Location : Phnom Penh, Cambodia, with occasional field visits to other provinces
- Starting date : December 2020, with a mandatory training in Paris from 16 th to 19 th November (or 14 th to 15 th December if significant experience). Subject to change, depending on the evolution of the ongoing pandemic.
- Duration of mission : 2 years
- Allowance : USD 600 per month (USD 700 the second year)
- Other conditions and advantages : health insurance, repatriation and assistance; one return flight per year; 24 days annual leave, Cambodian public holidays; accommodation on site with the other volunteers; provision of vehicles; allowance for Khmer language courses
Interested candidates are invited to send their application in English, including a CV and a cover letter, by email to Darong CHOUR at [email protected]
The successful applicant will be expected to comply with Krousar Thmey’s Child Protection Policy.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview.
Closing date for application: 27 th September 2020
Krousar Thmey is an equal opportunity employer and the candidate will be selected based on merit.
Women and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.