TWB recruits 01 Conversational AI Designer
Contract length: 9 Months
Location: Home-based (GMT)
Travel: None anticipated; potentially travel to TWB program countries/other, TBC
Reporting to: Global Product Manager
Deadline: 24 March, 2021
We offer in addition to salary:
- an innovative work environment with a diverse and passionate team
- 20 days of annual leave and 10 days of floating holidays
This role is a consultant role to act as conversational designer on TWB’s growing range of language technology products. The primary focus will be to build language technology products that allow the most vulnerable to consume information in a language that they feel most comfortable conversing in.
Nowhere is this more important than within the humanitarian crisis response programs that this will be deployed against.
- Acts as a design liaison between partners, technology and local teams, working directly with stakeholders to determine design requirements.
- Engages with end-users to understand information gaps and priorities.
- Visually articulates design choices and concepts to various stakeholders to minimize ambiguity.
- Distill design input into clear actionable development requirements for the engineering team.
- Informs and promotes a strong user focus that aligns decision making with technology choices and prioritization.
- Partners with development teams to create and communicate new release features.
- Inputs into Reviews data and user testing results managed by local teams to understand user conversations and map trends, extrapolate needs that might lead to design changes; when needed plans different tests (e.g. A/B, focus groups, usability testing); iterates based on results to ensure user-centric and highly usable products.
- Communicates effectively with positive impact; expresses ideas clearly in documents and written communications
- Ability to provide design input into the Platform Product Build process that enhances the overall UX.
Technology and Design
- Works with business day-to-day to identify and articulate initiative scope, benefits and ROI
- Tackles the issues impacting the customer experience, including the technical, functional, process, and accounting policy considerations, and creatively defines and designs solutions
- Define and implement a design workflow to iteratively improve the bot experience.
- Develops and communicates a point of view on conversational topics.
- Leverages tools that make the design and deployment process simple and scalable.
Please note that these responsibilities may change over time. The role will evolve along with the overall program as projects and activities develop to reflect the changing language needs of the affected population and implementing agencies.
The Conversational AI Designer should be enthusiastic about the importance of increasing access to knowledge through language. The right candidate is an energetic team player who agrees with TWB´s basic beliefs and values and who can work virtually with team members based throughout the world. You have:
- 3+ years of experience in Design with at least 1 year in Conversational Design
- Knowledge of conversational AI and channels is essential (chatbots, SMS, WhatsApp, Telegram, etc)
- Expertise in using wireframes and other visual aids to define requirements
- Expertise in general UX design
- Understanding of NLP techniques
- Passionate about being driven by evidence and impact
- Able to innovate to find creative solutions; willing to explore new technologies
- Able to deal with frequent changes, delays, interruptions, and unexpected events
- Resourceful, able to get more out of small budgets
- Good with people; able to work well in a team-oriented, collaborative, cross-functional environment
- Detail-oriented, thorough, accurate, able to meet deadlines, and able to work quickly and steadily in a focused manner
- At your best in a fast-paced environment and reacts well to pressure
- Bold; willing to try things out and measure how they work
- Willing to take initiative, commitment, ability to problem solve, and enthusiasm for learning.
- Comfortable with multitasking, prioritizing, and working with minimal supervision
- Able to mediate, negotiate, and resolve conflicts constructively
- Fluent in English; Working knowledge in French desired.
- Able to work flexible hours across time zones
About Translators without Borders
Translators without Borders (TWB) envisions a world where knowledge knows no language barriers. The US-based non-profit provides people access to vital knowledge in their language by connecting non-profit organizations with a community of language professionals, building local language translation capacity, and raising awareness of language barriers. Originally founded in 1993 in France (as Traducteurs sans Frontières), TWB translates millions of words of life-saving and life-changing information every year.
Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are made of people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it’s the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and, conduct themselves professionally at all times.
Translators without Borders is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion, and encourages qualified candidates of all genders and from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
TWB may re-advertise the vacancy, cancel the recruitment, offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration at its discretion.