Welthungerhilfe recruits 01 Expert Mechanic*
The position is to be filled as soon as possible, with an initial contract duration of two years. There are very good prospects for an extension. Employment location will be Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo. Taking the security situation into account, travel for work will be required to Lokando and Mambassa project sites.
As Expert Mechanic, you will be responsible for maintaining and repairing all heavy machinery, trucks, vehicles and light equipments. Your duties will include monitoring inventory, inspecting vehicles, and assembling machinery.
- Conducting regular maintenance on Caterpillar and Mercedes Benz heavy machinery, systems, and automotive vehicles (Bulldozers, Backhoe loaders, Trucks, Tracktors, etc.)
- Assembling mechanical components according to specifications
- Examining machines and overseeing diagnostic tests to determine functionality problems and alerting conductors and logistics on issues that will prohibit their vehicles from passing inspection
- Monitoring inventory and ordering new parts when necessary
- Leading a team of national mechanics, as well as providing assistance and hands-on training to ensure smooth operations
- Designing a plan of action for all maintenance tasks and upgrades and maintaining work logs, repairs, and maintenance records
- Meeting with conductors, drivers and users to better understand their concerns and identify issues
- Offering consultation on maintenance and preventative procedures to machine and vehicle users
- A vocational degree or job related training in mechanics or another field related to the position
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience in a similar position, ideally in the global South
- Experience in maintaining Caterpillar and Mercedes Benz heavy machinery
- In-depth knowledge of vehicle diagnostic equipment and mechanical systems
- Strong attention to detail with an aptitude for problem-solving
- A high level of mental and physical resilience and readiness to travel to areas with volatile local conditions
- Excellent spoken and written English and French language skills
We offer you the opportunity to work in a responsible and interesting field as part of an extremely dedicated team. Welthungerhilfe attaches great importance to the personal and professional development of its employees and the balance of their work and private life. Remuneration is based on our gender-independent salary scale. In addition, Welthungerhilfe offers numerous other benefits, which are listed under “Our benefits” .
Please send your application via our online recruiting system by August 1, 2021 by following this link. Your contact person is Barbara Kuersten. Welthungerhilfe is committed to fighting terrorism in all its activities. Accordingly, any applicant who is offered employment will be screened against lists of known and suspected terrorists.
* Welthungerhilfe values diversity and ensures an inclusive, non-discriminatory working environment. We welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community.