Desired start date:
Duration of the mission: 7 months renewable
Location: Al Turbah – Yemen
ABOUTE THE MISSION
SI opened its mission in Yemen in 2017, establishing its coordination in Aden. With the support of the Emergency DESK, SI mission was able to quickly acquire operational capacity, which was first deployed in Lahj Governorate, for implementation of WASH and Food Security Programming. Over the course of 2018, SI expanded the geographical scope of its intervention, and established presence in Al Turbah and Al Mokha in Taizz Governorate. With the opening of Al Mokha base late 2018, SI was one of the first humanitarian actors to start operations on the “West Coast”, which are now covering the southern districts of Hodeidah Governorate, close to one of the main frontlines of the conflict. In Al Turbah, SI is now looking at expanding its programming to recovery-type of projects, as well as its outreach to the city of Taizz, which after Hodeidah has been the second main frontline of the war.
For the year 2019/20; the mission has a forecasted budget of about 8M Euros. It operates from Aden, where the coordination is based, and 2 operational field bases located in Al Turbah and Al Mokha. The mission is composed of 20 expatriates and about 100 national staffs and is funded by OFDA, CDC, YHPF, DutchMoFA and ECHO. SI Programming in Yemen focuses on addressing immediate food needs of communities at risk of famine, as well as providing timely response to displacements of population and AWD/Cholera outbreaks. Its portfolio is primarily composed of WASH Emergency projects, along with unconditional cash distribution. Strategic and institutional priorities for the mission in 2019/20 is to strengthen its Emergency Response capacity, and develop operational capacity in Taizz city. In parallel, and where feasible, SI is looking at implementing recovery-type of programming.
ABOUT THE JOB
The Yemeni mission is looking for a WASH program manager, based in Al Turbah.
SI is looking for a profile with strong technical engineering skills, and a proactive and solution-oriented mindset. The overall objective will be to lead the implementation early-recovery WASH programs with a particular focus on hospitals and primary health centers, and the rehabilitation of centralized (in urban areas) and decentralized (in rural areas) water networks.
Specifically, the WASH program manager will be responsible of the design, implementation and M&E of:
- Water rehabilitation activities, including but not limited to pressurized systems (solar-based or diesel generators), deep borehole rehabilitation, water network expansion (part of this type of activities will support the rehabilitation of the urban water network in Taizz city, which has been affected by the conflict);
- WASH in health activities, including but not limited to water supply, sanitation, and waste treatment and management systems, including but not limited to medical waste. Hygiene promotion activities focusing on behavior changing.
- Project relevance, quality and design
- Implementation and operational monitoring
- Reporting / communication / representation
Priorities for the first 2 months
- Getting familiar with the project and with the specific designs;
- In coordination with logistics department in Al Turbah, finalize the supply process (selection and follow up of suppliers and contractors).
- Review and adapt the project planning as accurate.
Education and Experience
- Diploma in Civil Engineering or Hydraulic Engineering
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience as WASH Program Manager
- Proven previous experience working as a civil engineer on the field (follow up of contractors and work implementation)
- Proven previous experience on rehabilitation of water networks, including solarization, borehole rehabilitation and network extension.
- Previous experience in unstable environment (conflict / post conflict country) is preferable
- Proven previous experience in capacity building is an asset
- Experience in working in tense security context with strict security rules.
- Experience in remote project management would be an asset.
- Experience in team management.
Knowledge and Technical skills
- Advanced technical knowledge on water and sanitation system and their design (mandatory knowledge in WASH in health facilities, waste treatment and management, and hydraulic engineering, i.e. water networks and pumping systems).
- Advanced knowledge on soft component linked with hygiene promotion, waste management and Watsan.
- Advanced knowledge of project cycle management, humanitarian world, donors
- Knowledge of SI works, processes, ways of work and philosophy is an asset.
- Good and proven writing and spoken English are required.
- Arabic speaking is an asset.
- Good analytical and writing/editing skills.
- Good communication and diplomatic skills.
- Good organization skills.
- Capacity to work under pressure in a tense security environment.
- Good pedagogical skills.
- Knowledge and experience of the Yemen or Middle-eastern countries is an asset.
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried post:
According to experience, starting from 1980 euros gross per month (1800 base salary + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly Per Diem rate of 750 USD a month. SI also covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of origin and the place of assignment.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time-off is implemented at the rate of one break after two months spent on the field. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 9 calendar days break during the 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th and 10th months (with 850 USD allocated by Solidarités). To these break periods, it is necessary to add the granting of 1 additional rest day per month worked (i.e. 12 days in addition for a 1-year contract)
Social and medical cover:
Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
LIVING CONDITIONS AND CONSTRAINTS RELATED TO SECURITY :
The situation in terms of security remains tense in Aden and its surrounding Lahj governorate. Main identified threats for Aden are crossfire, kidnapping or hostage taking (even though there are no proven history of kidnapping of expatriates), crowd mob and road accidents.
The living conditions in Aden are good and are being constantly improved so as to retain expatriate staffs. The guesthouse and office are in the same building, which has limited outdoor space except for a very large rooftop. Because of the context and nature of threats, security rules are restrictive: curfew at 8PM, movements allowed only within limited perimeters, few places authorized for expatriates. Local supermarkets are supplied with most food items we can find in Western countries, except for cheese. Most INGOs in Aden have permanent expatriate presence, and, within the limits of the curfew, social gathering can/is taking place.
Rural Areas (Ash Shamayatayn, Al Ma’afer and Al Mawasit districts)
Al Turbah is located south of Taiz city in Shamayatayn governorate. The security situation remains calm in rural areas despite potential of instability related to political tensions, social tensions such as demonstration or private disputes related to land ownership issues.
Also in Al Turbah expats are living in individual rooms in the shared guesthouse with good conditions. Movements are restricted but possible, few pre-assessed and validated areas for groceries shopping, haircut, park, some hiking places, etc., with curfew at 06:00 pm. SI is one of the only INGOs have permanent expatriate presence in Al Turbah, despite the fact that many have offices there. Opportunities for social gathering are hence limited.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English via this link: https://emea3.recruitmentplatform.com/syndicated/private/syd_apply.cfm?id=P1IFK026203F3VBQB6G8N8NQ9&nPostingTargetID=50849 . CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension