SI recruits 01 Project manager (WASH OR GENERALIST)
Desired start date:
Duration of the mission: 3 months (renewable if funds available)
Location: Latin America
ABOUT THE MISSION
SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL (SI) is a French humanitarian organization which provides aid and assistance to victims of war or natural disaster. For over 39 years, our organization has worked towards meeting the three basic needs – water, food and shelter – of vulnerable and crisis-affected populations, and has been more specifically committed to fight against waterborne diseases, leading cause of death in the world. SI’s interventions are carried out based on its expertise in the field of access to safe drinking water, sanitation and hygiene promotion, but also to food security and livelihoods. SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL is currently present in about 20 countries where SI staff – a total of 2,000 people comprising expatriates, local staff, HQ employees and some volunteers – implements programs with professionalism and commitment whilst being mindful of respecting other cultures.
SI is present in Latin America since 2019, where it conducted a first exploratory mission in February 2019, and then secured funding for a WASH and food security project in partnership with another French NGO, Première Urgence Internationale (PUI). In September 2020, following an assessment conducted in various locations, SI and PUI launched together the implementation of project aimed at improving the access to health and WASH services under the two following axes:
- Improvement of the access to quality primary healthcare and MHPSS through structural support, including WASH services provision to health facilities;
- Improvement of the access to water services and hygiene practices within the targeted communities in vulnerable urban areas.
The Project Manager (PM) will be responsible for all WASH activities in health facilities and in communities while PUI’s team implements the project’s health component. The project’s budget reaches 1,3 Million euros, of which 400 000 euros covers SI’s activities. Our team for this project is small (2 expats and a few national staff).
ABOUT THE JOB
The PM will be in charge of all WASH activities of the area, in terms of design, implementation, monitoring and reporting.
The main challenges:
The local recruited WASH team has no prior NGO experience and lacks knowledge of humanitarian approaches, methodologies, tools, etc. Strong support from the Country Director and HQ is therefore needed, and cannot always be provided as it should. In order to ensure the project’s achievement, quality and compliance, the PM will be required to provide this support.
Priorities for the 2/3 first months:
- Implementation: take over management of project implementation, improving speed and efficiency of the operationalization. Optimize or adapt the project’s activities to ensure completion by ending date.
- Technical oversight: ensure quality of technical components and propose reorientations when needed.
- Monitoring: develop and disseminate monitoring tools when lacking. Ensure staff and partners are trained to efficiently to use these tools.
- Team and partnership management: manage the project’s team and operationalize collaboration with partners. Evaluate needs for trainings or capacity building for SI as well as our partners’ staff.
Specific skills and experience:
- A minimum of 1 year of field experience in WaSH programs in a managing position
- Previous experience of WASH in communities and WASH in health programs and previous experience of WASH projects in urban context highly appreciated
- Experience working with partners of the same region highly appreciated
- Capacity to quickly get on board with an already started project: capacity to rapidly identify challenges and potential difficulties, adaptability, solution-oriented approach, etc.
- Strong project management skills, perfect command of PCM tools, knowledge of humanitarian NGO environment and specificities
- Skilled management and ability to train, develop and support staff
- Ability and desire to work with local partners
- Relatively high level of autonomy
- Good communication skills in both written and verbal Spanish and English
- Reactive, flexible and resourceful
- Solution-oriented management
Language: English and Spanish are both mandatory
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried post:
According to experience, starting from 1800 euros gross per month (+ 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly i.e. 1980 euros gross per month) and a monthly Per Diem of 750 USD
SI also covers accommodation costs in a shared Guest House and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of origin and the place of assignment.
Social and medical cover:
Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Additional information will be provided to contacted candidates during recruitment process.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/