The Institute for Security Studies recruits 01 Senior Researchers, ENACT organized crime project
The ISS seeks to appoint two senior researchers for the ENACT project, one based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and the other in Dakar, Senegal. The senior researchers will be responsible for building a research and publication profile relevant to enhancing Africa’s response to transnational organised crime.
The ENACT project works to strengthen policy and technical interventions in the area of transnational organised crime in Africa, based on locally sourced and relevant research and analysis.
The senior researchers will undertake primary and secondary research and analysis, develop policy recommendations based on research findings, and actively communicate results to ENACT stakeholders and counterparts through written products, verbal communication, events and social media.
Successful candidates must bring and maintain an understanding of the regional and national environments, specifically focused on government and civil society responses to transnational organised crime and development. The senior researchers will be expected to identify and recommend priorities for research and intervention. The successful candidates will be expected to initiate, coordinate and produce high-quality research products that assist decision makers to respond to transnational organised crime in the region.
Applicants must have a demonstrable track record of planning and conducting significant primary research including research design, data collection, analysis and report writing. A demonstrable portfolio of qualitative research and writing products for a variety of audiences is essential. Proven excellence in presentation skills and familiarity with a range of virtual meeting platforms is required.
Ideal applicants must be highly motivated, proactive, delivery-focused, and have a track record of working independently and under pressure. Excellent writing skills and the ability to respond quickly and manage time effectively are essential. The senior researchers will report to the Programme Head.
Overview of duties
- Initiate, plan and undertake primary and secondary research, either individually or as part of a team as determined by the ENACT team
- Maintain proactive relationships with key national and regional partners in government, civil society, academia and the media
- Attend and participate in sector-relevant meetings and engagements
- Monitor relevant literature, legislation, regional decisions and developments
- Actively disseminate research findings through organising meetings, briefings and seminars to selected audiences
- Build the profile of the research in conjunction with the regional coordinator, in consultation with the Pretoria-based team. This includes media interviews
- Together with the ENACT team, provide technical assistance to government departments to promote better responses to transnational organised crime
- Assist in identifying new opportunities for funding, draft concept notes and proposals, and manage a budget
- Undertake monitoring, evaluation and communications activities, as required by the project
- Ensure that all expenditure (travel, procurement and sub-contracting) complies with required financial rules and procedures
Overview of requirements
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in governance, international development, security and policing or related relevant field
- Minimum of 10 years research and policy experience, with at least 3 years of outputs in the fields of transnational organised crime, crime and security, customs, and corruption
- Strong networking, facilitation and interpersonal skills, in particular, the ability to work in partnership with governments and civil society
- Excellent verbal and written skills in English, ability to communicate in French will an advantage
- Demonstrable record of publications for a variety of audiences, e.g. journal articles, policy briefs, newspaper reports, project reports, website publications
- Ability to work independently, conceptualise and implement research projects, and experience working remotely against deliverables
- Understand and have practical experience with proposal writing, and managing and reporting on budgets and projects
- Experience in and a willingness to work in a diverse team
- Demonstrable interpersonal and networking skills, including the ability to work in a multi-cultural environment, and to establish effective working relationships within and outside the organisation with a diversity of stakeholders
- Ability to travel within the region and internationally
The length of the contract will be for 15 months, preferably from 1 October 2020 to December 2021, and may be renewed subject to project requirements, funding and satisfactory performance. A competitive salary is offered.
Email your application to Rekha Valabh at [email protected] . Applicants must specify in the subject line which region they would like to work in and provide a cover letter, detailed CV, and recent writing sample, including at least three contactable referees.
Application deadline: 13 Sep 2020
Ideally, applicants should be based in the location of the position for which they are applying but there is scope for relocation, when circumstances permit. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Pour postuler, envoyez votre CV et votre lettre de motivation par e-mail à